Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I ♥ Dave Moore

Any of you MNPS people know Dave, and anyone who's been around me in my teaching arena has heard me rave about Dave.  Dave Moore is my hero.  His previous work in Metro was with a program called COMP.  It's through Vanderbilt somehow and helps new teachers with classroom management and organizational things.  It's a great program, but he's an even better facilitator.  He has gone on to waste his talents in the Social Studies department (and we ALL know how I feel about that subject...one too many coaches "taught" me social studies and I have nothing to show for it).  I'm sure he'll be great at that, too.  He's an overachiever, like many education folks.
Anyway, I went to the COMP workshop my second year teaching.  That year apparently was a trial year for an Advanced COMP, so the next year, I got to go back and reflect more.  Basically, COMP allows you to think about, plan, and reflect on all your practices.  This is something all teachers  want to do, yet may not have the time to do it.  Anyway, even though I'm three years out from that COMP class, I still use Dave.  I email him all the time with questions or comments and he's always there to help.  He has done classroom observations for me to help with those "tricky" classes.  I only wish he could fly to Mexico to help me with some techniques here!
He also was one who wrote a recommendation for this teaching exchange.  THANKS, DAVE!
Since I know I can count on him for advice, I emailed him asking for ideas on fund-raising/grant writing for my Mexican students to travel to Nashville.  He had a great idea.  When he taught fourth grade, his students had pen pals in Houston.  Southwest sponsored his class's trip to Houston and the class in Houston's trip to Nashville!  I think in a financial crisis (even if Mabel's dad doesn't believe in it!), I'll have a hard time getting full sponsorship, but I'm back to thinking this trip is possible.  I foresee a trip to Mammoth Cave, line dance lessons at the Wildhorse (during the day), and a tour of Lockeland.  I'm considering the races (if they're open) at Churchill Downs, and who knows what all else.  But now that I think it's possible, I'm going at it again!  I even think we could ride the dreaded bus to Phoenix and take a Southwest flight to Nashville.  Even if SWA doesn't donate anything, that would be cheaper than an international flight.  I'm PUMPED!
And now that I think about it, a friend of mine from college works for Southwest.  Time to send an email...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If you came to Phoenix you could work us in and I could make the butter-laden southern cooking.