Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Open Class

Last week, Maribel and I discussed when to have my "open class" which is basically the marketing ploy to get parents to buy their kids an English book conveniently disguised as a chance for them to see what goes on in English class.  With the combination of her work schedule and my travel schedule, it wasn't possible.  It was supposed to be done before the 24th, but we were going to try for this week.  No could do.
Yesterday, while I was in the shower and then while cooking lunch/breakfast, she called three or four times.  Messages are rare here; you just keep calling the person until they answer.  Leaving a message is passing the buck (literally) to them since they'll have to pay to make the return call back to you.
When I finished eating, I saw that she had called, but knew she would call again, so I carried my phone with me everywhere I went (including the bathroom!).  She called again.  When I answered, she said "I'm going to look for something else."  I had heard from Sandra sometime last week that the schedule change was looking less likely since there were some teachers who were not on board (teachers from other schools who would come to Rafael Buelna to give afternoon classes), so I didn't think this could be about the schedule change, yet my gut said "she wants to give you a new school."  
I said, "mande."  Always play dumb. ;)
She said, "I'm going to look for something else because it's bound to be easier to find that you!"  I have explained that the phone calls are short here since they're expensive.  Since they're short, it's acceptable to answer your phone wherever.  In my first church experience, I saw a woman answer her phone in the middle of a song (oddly enough that wasn't the weirdest thing I saw that day).  At the next church, I saw signs with pictures of cell phones on them that said, "God will call you today, but not on your cell phone.  Please turn it to silent."  I loved it.
Teachers answer phones in class.  Waiters answer their phones in restaurants.  We leave our phones outside the yoga room, but that is a rare thing.  I have yet to really absorb this cultural thing.  I always forget unless I'm thinking about it when I arrive at school.  I'll get there.  I was doing really well for awhile.  I don't know what happened.
Maribel then went on to tell me that we needed to plan an open class.  I was confused since not five days earlier she had told me it was impossible, but that we didn't have to tell anyone that.  Our little secret.
She asked me when I'd be leaving for Cozumel, and I told her Thursday.  She said, "Wednesday it is.  Can you do that?"  Insert smile; agree accordingly.
I prepared my Tuesday list.  Tuesday is my long day with 5 classes instead of four.  Third grade would need its retest that I needed to print and copy since we hadn't met on Friday (English training) or Monday (no school).  I also had a test for 6th grade.  And I needed to finish my signs for each classroom announcing the final day for purchasing books (Nov 4 in anticipation of late orders through the 15th).  Usually, I could plan on getting to school a little after 8 and getting my stuff done before my first group at 8:50.  Not so on Tuesdays since I start at 8 (more or less).  Add to that, that my first group's room was locked and the PE teacher had taken the key on Friday (and only comes on MWF, so we had no key!).  We decided to have English in the Computer room.  Awesome.  One long table, barely enough chairs, and too many things to distract.  After we got settled and I had been teaching for about 10 minutes, they came to let me know the room was unlocked.  Since leaving would cause more harm than good (and since the computer room is a/c), I made the executive decision to stay there.  At the end of class, I prepared them for the open class tomorrow, but let them know I would be coming back at the end of the day to give them the notes to take home.  I already had the notes printed, copied, and cut, but you can't give a first grader something at 8am and expect him to remember to tell his parents at 12:30 after recreo and snack!
I moved to the second group of first graders and did the same lesson (mostly a review plus preparation for what to do tomorrow so I didn't look like a fool!).
I gave my third graders their test.  Big surprise that the students who needed the second test to average with their first were ill prepared again...  I suppose the cards were stacked against them since we hadn't been together since last Tuesday.  But the low students are rarely going to study for the second test if they didn't for the first.  
Oh, well.  I did what I felt I had to do in order to justify myself to the parents.
During recreo, I heard lots of talk about the tests the next day.  I had heard this mentioned last week- reference to when the tests would be coming- but I had no idea what effect it would have on me.
I decided to ask Sandra (ever my aide) if the tests were school-wide and all day.  She said yes.  So there went my open class.  To be sure, I asked Dir. Roberto.  I was right.  No English classes.
I sent Maribel a quick email telling her the open class couldn't be tomorrow because of the exams.
I went to give 6th grade their test and then gathered up my teachers' manuals.  I forgot this weekend (and would've had more than ample time to complete it!) that I needed to turn in my lesson plans by Saturday.  Ugh.  After I got everything I needed, I went back by the office to reaffirm that I didn't need to be there tomorrow or Thursday and to remind that I would be gone Friday and Monday.  Dir. Roberto sat me down and told me that Gris (the English teacher before me) had done a "muestra" or show more or less (presentation) for the parents last year in April or May.  I remember Yuri talking about all the work she was putting in around June, so this was no surprise to me.  The kicker was...
He wants me to do it in November.  That it will be a challenge is a fierce understatement considering I'll be out of the city five days in November and school's out (officially) at least one day.  The good news is I can do a cultural production about Thanksgiving.  It'll be for the parents and for him as well as for Maribel if she wants to come, and it'll only be one group.   Obviously I'll be choosing 6th.  Wish me luck!

No comments: