Wednesday, February 4, 2009

La Chuparrosa (Humingbird- a new word for me!)

The Band.  Diana is clearly the girl.
No, I was not cold.  Yes, they truly were.
It was probably 70 degrees.

Oscar, Elvia, Me, Mabel, Marisol, Edgar


The whole group.


Mabel and I left the house later than expected to head to the restaurant. As you know, when in Mexico, I like to be fashionably late. At a restaurant, I don’t mind so much being on time (but never early here- yikes!) because there’s something to occupy my mind- and mouth.
We were pulling into the very hidden restaurant (It was on the outskirts of town back hidden away. I felt like it would’ve been in the Ya-Ya movie-tucked away in some Louisiana swamp.), we crossed a railroad track. Mabel told me to lift my feet and make a wish, that my wish was sure to come true. She said it always happens. I just laughed. She felt the need to defend herself with the wish comment since she thought I was laughing at that. I was laughing more at the fact that she was a grown-up “teaching” a grown-up about a kid car game. I explained to her that we do that in the States, but more around the age of when you start driving. She adamantly disagreed. Not with the proper age to do it, but with the fact that we actually do in the US. “You don’t do this there.” Right, just like we don’t know the electric slide.
When we arrive, Diana and her band are already playing, and we’re asked if we have reservations. Uh oh!
We didn’t, but we were lucky enough to find one last table behind the band. We sat and ordered (refer to “Red, Red Wine” entry) and enjoyed the music. They cover a lot of English songs. They played some Beatles stuff, the Doors, Guns and Roses (or Sheryl Crow if you prefer her rendition), Madonna and many others. After about 20 minutes at that table (and before our dessert came), Mabel’s friends Marisol (went to Cosalá with her) and her boyfriend Edgar (and him) called saying they were on their way. Since we were at a two top, we asked the waiter if we could move. We found a six top right next to the band. They were wrapping up before their first break and they came to sit with us. A little later, Elvia (Cosette’s godmother) and Oscar (boyfriend) joined us as well. We had a really good time. I absolutely love Diana. She’s so friendly and definitely owns a stage, but she doesn’t love the spotlight outside of singing. She always has something to say or ask about.

Something funny to note in the pictures: the gringa is wearing spaghetti straps and everyone else is in coats. 

No comments: