Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Valentine's Day

What to do on a Saturday when I’m used to going to do laundry at Papá’s house? Last week we went to Altata and the weekend before I didn’t get to do laundry for some reason or another. So I’m desperate for laundry. However, when I opened my door at 9:30 Saturday morning, Mabel was already gone. I suppose I’ll have to find a laundromat since the next Saturday I could do laundry at Papá’s I hope to be en Las Barrancas del cobre (The Copper Canyon, apparently comparable to the Grand Canyon before it got touristified). We have Monday and Tuesday, February 23 and 24 off, so I plan on taking advantage of that time to go exploring. I had asked Mabel a few weeks ago if she wanted to go with me and she said yes. She hasn’t mentioned it again, so I’ll ask her about it this week.
At any rate, since Mabel was gone, I was wondering how I’d fill my time until I go out with the girls tonight. My plan was to go to Forum and use the internet (which is where I am right now, but something is up with my computer because it just won’t connect), grab a bite, and come home and rest up for a late night tonight.
As I was making my plan, Imelda called. She’s the one of the three amigas that also teaches in Inglés en Primaria. She’s the one who called me about Mazatlán. She was calling to see if I had plans for the day. She was leaving after work to go to her parents’ ranch (about 4 hours away) for the night, and I think she was on her way to inviting me to go with her. But she reaffirmed that I was going out with the girls tonight. She also offered her house to me for a squatting place to keep me of the streets. She has a two bedroom and a roommate, so it wouldn’t be the most comfortable. That’s the same situation with Tania. She has a two bedroom and a mom and niece. Both girls offered housing for the rest of my time here at no cost. I cleared up with both of them that no matter where I lived, I would pay rent. I’m guessing neither of these places will work out because of space (and hot water with Tania), but they’re options. It’s also nice to know that I have friends who would offer without my asking.
This is yet another aspect of the Mexican culture that is different from us at home. They are all offering things they don’t have to help me out. They don’t really have the space and they probably couldn’t afford for me to mooch off of them for months at a time, but they’re willing to put themselves through hardship and possible discomfort to help out a (new) friend. I think in the US we’re often more than willing to help, but we think what we have isn’t good enough or won’t work.

No comments: