Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Classes or No Classes?

On Tuesday, Sandra (bless her for helping me out) that on Wednesday we would dismiss early to celebrate Hernán’s new job (I was really sad that Ashley didn’t get to meet him), our new custodian, Genoveva’s return, and her substitute Cecy’s departure. I didn’t eat breakfast knowing we would eat heavily (and free) at 11 or so.
I planned on seeing my 4th and 5th graders in the morning instead of my first graders. My first graders are not only on track, but they’re ahead of schedule. When we dismiss early, it’s always my older grades that suffer, so I decided I would take matters into my own hands and even it out.
Luckily, I was thinking when I arrived; I remembered I was in Mexico. I asked Sandra if we were still going to dismiss early and she said no. Thank goodness I was thinking ahead. I gathered my materials (and sanity) and headed to first grade. It was actually a really good teaching day. We’re working on body parts, which is always an easy unit because it is so tactile. When you can touch something, you learn it more quickly. Or if you can do a motion, it works the same way.
The kids were (relatively speaking) under control. They were listening, they were engaged, and they were not terribly loud. I also realized that day that Baltazar (a key player in classroom drama) had not been there all week. I asked about him and they said he’d had to move because his house burned, so he was at another school. Also missing on this particular day was Lucano, who is a stud, but DRA-MA. With those two gone, Carlos Jovany (the one I had to physically restrain when he first arrived) is totally manageable.
During recess, I saw an email from Maribel referencing a phone conversation we had had, only the conversation I remembered had nothing to do with what she was saying. Her email said that she needed to ask me to select a student who could thank and congratulate a group of teachers in English. She didn’t know the date or place, but that it would be soon. She also mentioned that I would be doing a workshop (which I had offered to Ana Luisa back when the Consul visited) sometime in March. I will soon be sending out a mass email to my language folks for help!
I was confused as to the details with this student, but I figured in time I would know more.
I reviewed my 4th and 5th graders for their tests and on my bus ride home, I got my answer. Maribel called and explained a little better, though she still didn’t tell me my audience. I decided to use Diego, the student who spoke the Spanish part for the Consul. He’s a good student who is always trying to find ways to use English (he fusses at the other kids when they answer me with sí instead of yes). He has a sweet little sister in my precious first grade class (as opposed to the class from hell), but she didn’t get the English talent/desire that he did.

No comments: