Saturday, February 28, 2009

Another Saturday Night...

Part of the birthday party

In the very front is Mayrita, who helped me move.  Karina the birthday girl has a tiara.  Rocio (Ana Luisa's daughter) is in red.  Lenin is the only guy and to his right and behind Rocio is Alma.
Maybe ignore my dance moves here, but can I get a compliment on my newly yoga-toned arms?
Yeah, I'm fishin' for a compliment.  No shame.  I've been working hard!

Another Saturday night...and I ain't got nobody.  I got some money 'cause i just got paid.  Jimmy Buffett anyone?

So last Saturday night was like any other, only this time we only had one party to go to.  Karina, who is one of Alma's good friends from Centro de Idiomas and one of the girls I went out with that first weekend here, decided to celebrate her 20th birthday (that's right, 20- they start working right out of high school here while getting their degree) at a new pub called Bavaria.  Apparently you can reserve the back room for parties/dancing and that's just what she did.  Lenin had been at the house earlier in the day and we had decided that he would pick us up at 10:00.  Apparently some signals got crossed.  At 10:45 when we called him, he was almost there.  He was thinking 11 for some reason.  That was fine with me because this party was mostly dancing, which I enjoy, but it was mostly Mexican music, which I still don't.
Bavaria is a new place, so it has to close at 1.  Apparently, after places that serve alcohol have been open long enough, the liquor companies basically go to bat for them with the city (I guess) to allow them to have longer hours.  Supposedly all places close at 2, but most of the places I have been to don't close their doors until 3.
There was a span of about 25 minutes where they played all English music: Spice Girls, Snoop Doggy Dogg, Usher, Outkast- stuff I could dance to basically.
I was proud of myself because in a loud club, I managed to have several conversations and understand them about as well as I would outside in the quiet.  
The night ended with a trip to Burger King.  After, several were going to Jair's house (one of the guys from the first weekend out) for more partying, but as it was 3 already, I was out.  We went back home to prepare for, you guessed it, another birthday party on Sunday.

No comments: