Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Yoga and Birthdays

I tried to explain in a blog entry that there are birthdays every lovin’ minute here, but it hadn’t sunk in to most of you until now. Monday we were at wings for Eddy’s birthday. There, I was made aware of Boby’s birthday on Thursday. (Boby is married to Olga and they are expecting their first [?] child in August. I met them at the Superbowl party.) Everyone made a big deal about me making sure I could go because there would be pozole, which I had not yet tried. I thought I had had it before, but I had it confused with atole. This is a pork soup/stew with bones and who knows what else. Most of the time, it is better here to not ask what’s in things. That’s something I have learned. It was okay. It wasn’t my favorite, but I’m not one to rave about soups (unless it’s chicken barley!).
Anyway, I was excited about hanging out with my friends again, but mostly because I knew I could hang without being worried about school the next day!
I went to my yoga class for the first time since the burn and it did fine. I was a little rusty, but I hadn’t exactly eaten well (I might’ve indulged after the sushi?), either. The class was good and just what I needed. Two weeks away from yoga had made my neck very stiff. It hadn’t gotten to the point where it bothered me yet, but it was only minutes away! I left early so I could be ready when Topete picked me up. Long story short he was late. Which was fine. After hot yoga, a shower, and blow-drying, I was hot and needed time to cool off!



The ride to Boby’s house was funny, as is typical with Topete. He has an awkward way about him that is his humor. He’s funny by being awkward.
On the way, he told me there would be some Canadians at this party. Then he didn’t say anything else. I of course had a thousand questions. Why were they here? Did they live here or on vacation? Did they speak Spanish? Topete’s response was, “Woman, you ask too many questions.” My response was, “You answer too few!” I kept asking and he finally caved. Apparently these were friends of Iván’s, but that’s all I got out of him. No details.
We got to the party (finally- Topete joked that we would be able to see the ocean by the time we got there) and I wished Boby happy birthday outside the house and then Topete said, “You’re in your house,” basically make yourself at home. So we walked in and the first people I saw were Liliana and her boyfriend Renato. I absolutely love them. They were the ones who danced and sang all night long at the Superbowl party. Liliana is just a sweet girl and Renato is a loveable cute boyfriend. They love me because I do a mad imitation of Liliana whining to Renato. Well, they love me because I’m great; the imitation just adds to my charm (ha!).
I spoke to them and they excused me to go greet everyone else. Jared (Superbowl Cardinals buddy who was CRAZY) was there with his girlfriend. It turns out (I was listening carefully at dinner) that he and his girlfriend had had a tif on Superbowl Sunday and that’s why he was so crazy (slash drunk), and that’s why she wasn’t at the party!
I made my way a little farther into the house and greeted Olga (Boby’s adorably pregnant wife) and she motioned me to the table. Already seated were Marco, Iván, Eddy and the two Canadians. I met the Canadians and we shared stories of why we were there. One of them, I’ve forgotten his name already, was experiencing his first trip to Culiacán. He was the cartoonist for Ed, Edd and Eddy! The other has passed through several times. He’s a pilot and has his own plane. Two years ago, he was passing through Culiacán to get fuel, and Iván was working at the airport. He went to help them with whatever they needed and they ended up going out to dinner (there were three pilots total), staying the night, and inviting him to go with them to Venezuela (the fact that Iván could help with the Spanish while carrying on a conversation with them in English was helpful), stopping in several countries along the way. Iván asked for someone to fill in for him at work, and packed up and went. Since then, Hans (the pilot) has stopped through Culiacán on his way to wherever he travels. Consequently, he always invites Iván along. He’s got the Mexican way down, though, to be Canadian. He never gives more than two to three days notice.
After we had all eaten, the party headed outside where it was actually cool, so I was thankful at this point for the ¾ sleeves and leggings. The Canadians had to leave at 6 am on Friday to continue their journey, so they left with Iván and Eddy around 11:30. Those that stayed behind were Jared and his girlfriend Iris, Marco, Topete (my ride), and Daniel (Liliana’s brother whom I’d never met). We had a good time laughing about Valentine’s Day (Topete said he was going to rent romantic movies and eat a gallon [well, that’s what we’d say- he said 3 liters] and cry all night) and movies. We discussed some translation things. It was funny and fun. It was one of the smaller parties I’ve been to, but since I knew everyone there, I had fun.
Unfortunately, I was the only one who didn’t have to work on Friday, so the party stopped about 12:30. I was home by 1 am, which by now you know is early for Mexico.

No comments: