Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Tests and Things

Genoveva had warned me on Wednesday that there would be no classes on Friday. I don’t know when this information is discussed or shared, but I never seem to know! If I had been thinking like an elementary school teacher, I would’ve been prepared for the Valentine’s Day parties that would occur on Thursday (the last day before the holiday), but I wasn’t thinking. I had three tests to give on Thursday plus a 6th grade class. We’re finally getting in the groove in 6th grade even though their classes are cancelled once a week without fail.
Second grade was my first test. Luckily I had been thinking ahead on Wednesday and went to remind the kids about the test. Rocio informed me that they had a field trip to the museum on Thursday (Again, when was I going to know?!) at 9, so could I give the test at 8? Ugh. I despise 8 am classes, which is a change. I’m not a morning person, this is no surprise, but I’m more of a morning than a night owl. I guess being in Mexico has reversed my body clock preferences. I made it to school by 8:15 (oops), grabbed the tests and went straight to their room. I reviewed extra quickly and passed out the tests. It is amazing- you can ask any Fulbright teacher in Mexico this year; Mexican students just have absolutely no concept of silence. None. Be quiet means stop yelling, but make as much noise with your body (and even mouth as long as it’s not yelling) as you want to. Not a word/be silent means make sure you’re not making eye contact with the teacher while you continue your conversations. Their lives are loud; I pointed this out to Ashley as we were eating tacos downtown. There is just constant noise. Neighbors’ radios. Cars in the street. Buses. Dogs. Roosters. There’s no escaping noise, so they don’t know how to stop their own noise. It’s phenomenal. Inexplicable.
Overall, they did a great job on the tests (need I remind you that cheating is OKAY in Mexico-blatant cheating) and I was pretty proud. I couldn’t monitor all of them, so I think some got away with some cheating. And I took up some tests in the middle due to wandering eyes. They still won’t learn their lessons, but I’ll feel better about setting the example.
After their class, I had an hour free before 4th grade’s test. I was debating how to order the rest of my day and just decided to leave everything as it should be and take an hour break when I would’ve normally had 2nd grade.
I got on the computer and added my first round (of many) of blogs from Ashley’s visit. I caught up on some gchat since I had been MIA for a solid week. It was nice to have nothing to do. I really love test days. While it takes a toll on my control issue (I just can’t stand it that they can’t be quiet OR keep their eyes on their own papers OR realize that it’s a test and I can’t give them the answers- HELLO?! It’s a test!), it at least requires no planning and very little action during class.
I gave fourth grade their test. There are only 20 of them, so it’s much easier. Their class consists of about 10 overachievers who looooove English class, and about 10 who hate it, have no books, and don’t listen. In general they did really well. The ones that don’t know just don’t know and by test day it’s too late.
There were several interruptions, such as the pizza delivery, when Lety (teacher) called on a student to go pay the pizza man and bring the pizza back… in the middle of the test! Or when she had a conversation in the front of the room with another teacher. Or when she started serving up slices and pouring drinks. But we made it through the test. Thank goodness.
Recess was recess as usual, only Sandra had asked me about 6th grade. Guille (their teacher) wasn’t there, so Sandra had taught them in the computer room and then the principal was covering for her until recess (This was when they were running all over creation. Who knows where he was.). Sandra asked me if I was supposed to teach them and I said yes, but that I was giving a test to 5th grade first, and sometimes they took a really long time. I knew she was asking to see if they could go home. I said this was one day it wouldn’t bother me since I needed to stay with 5th grade until they finished their tests. 6th grade left and I gave the test to fifth grade. I interrupted their Valentine’s party and it was evident many of them had not studied. I can’t take the test or study for them, so I just had to deal with that.
As I was collecting tests, I saw all their goodies on their desks. They had community chips and other munchies that I do not enjoy. However, the popular gift munchy was chocolate. I promptly told them that the best way to get a ten (the highest score) in English class was to give me chocolate. I ended up with about 6 pieces and ten promises for Monday. They found it funny.
I hadn’t had breakfast, so I was hungry as I left school. Since I needed to stop and withdraw money anyway, I decided to stop by the mall, get some sushi, and make sure there were no purchases screaming at me.
As I walked through their department store (Liverpool), I saw some cute yellow and gold, more-comfortable-than-your-typical-flip-flops flip-flops. They were marked down to 99 pesos and they were my size. I left them in the store in search of the two more important goals: sushi and bathroom.
I ordered my sushi, took care of business, and then decided to stop in Zara just to make sure they hadn’t put out their new stuff since Ashley and I were there the week before. They hadn’t. I still tried on some things, but nothing suited both price and body.
I made my way back to Liverpool, ready to buy my sandals; only they were gone. Bummer. This is a typical shopping trick of mine. In order to part with my money, I have to know I want something. Like really want it. Usually if I can walk away from it for a day or two, I realize whether I can’t stop thinking about it, or if I have forgotten about it. Apparently I wanted these shoes. I almost asked if they’d been sold, but decided against it. I went to check out the other shoes just to see if there was another sale and I found a whole bucket of these shoes: yellow and gold, red and gold, and pink and white. I decided on the yellows and reds, paid with my debit card, and got out of there. The transaction came out to 14 dollars for two pairs of quality (Mom would say how can there be such a thing as a quality flip flop, but there is) flip-flops. I was content with my purchase. I walked to the bank to take out some cash (Since Ashley was here visiting and we did much more than I do in a normal weekend, I had spent by Friday almost what I spend in a whole month minus rent. Wow. But that’s totally okay, because let’s remember how I’m coming out ahead thanks to the economic crisis and the rising dollar in Mexico (not to mention being paid a real salary for a 40 hour work week while working less than 20 hours a week).
I had worn a really cute new dress from Zara that I bought when Ashley was here. It was ¾ sleeves (the mornings have truly been chilly) and I wore it with leggings. The bank is about a ten minute walk to my house, so I decided to walk home. Mistake. I got home and was sweat-y. I changed into my pjs and turned on the air for a nice nap. ¡Es la vida!

No comments: