Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Wretched Alarm

I was not a happy camper when my alarm went off. Even on my early days (Tuesdays), I don’t get up at 6:15 because I shower at night. For one, I treasure more sleep. But the other issue is that Mabel showers in the morning, and by the time she finishes, there’s not time for me to shower and make it to school on time.
We got ready, packed some cereal bars in case of hunger (we were going to eat our weight in tacos and churros at lunch in the market), and jetted off to school. I played the part of gringa again with my backpack. Ashley played her part with shorts. We both played it well on the bus as we spoke in English while the rest (it was packed) sat in silence.
We got to school a little after 8, but the day had not yet begun. Thankfully, Ashley saw just what I hoped she would. The student body lined up, did their thing, and then were dismissed. However, the majority did not go to their rooms yet. Teachers were distracted by parents; dogs were all over the place. It was semi-chaos. We stepped into my office and I told Sandra my story about the tetanus shot and how it had not gone as planned. She asked me when my first class was (40 minutes later) and said, “Well, let’s go now and get it done!” Again, she trotted off and told the principal we’d be back. For those of you worried about me in a sense of someone taking care of me if I ever need it, know that Sandra is my gal. She is old enough to be my mom. She tells me when she’ll take care of me instead of asking (which is great because I would totally decline- personality flaw). She keeps me in the know. And she’s fun and adorable to boot!
This weekend with Ashley just really reaffirmed that I have great friends and that I’m very well taken care of.

No comments: