Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Por Fin (Finally)

I got home from my tutoring session and watched some episodes of The Office. I mean, new favorite show! I got a text from Alma around 8:30 saying she was on her way, was I home? I said yes and would see her in a bit.
She picked me up and we chatted the whole way about the day’s events, etc. She told me that her mom wouldn’t be there because her mom is as vaga (literally, like homeless, but it’s more like we would use maybe free spirit- comes and goes) as she is. Her mom is a secretary at the Catholic church right down the street from where she lives. She was at a prayer meeting and then would be eating with them. But she said she didn’t want to cancel on me again! So, we got to the house and she has a huge and harmless dog. Strike one. Just kidding. It is like any other sniffy dog, so I don’t love it, but it really does nothing but stand out front.
The inside of the house was HUGE. From the outside, it looked like any small Mexican house. From the inside, it was a really nice size. What’s more, it felt like a home. There was old furniture everywhere. The den was clearly used for hanging out. Mayrita (have been to her house for a party and Alma is good friends with her) and Karla (Chapo’s girlfriend-neither have been mentioned enough for you to remember) stopped by to say hey and hang out for a few minutes.
The third bedroom, where her brother lived before he married and had kids, is big enough, with a nice sized closet. The bed is a single, which will be a change, but I use the other half of my bed here as storage. Perfect.
The room does not have air. I saw two fans and wasn’t going to ask, but Alma said that since it will be getting to be hot season soon, she would sleep in her mom’s room and I could sleep in her room, or we could move my bed in her room. She has a window unit. Her brother’s bedroom had one, but it got taken out some time ago.
The bathroom looked nice. The kitchen was spacious and she says her mom is a good cook. The area is not as easy bus wise as where I am, meaning I’ll probably have to walk several blocks to get on a bus and then I’ll have to take two to get to school. However, I’ll be able to walk to yoga and I will also be able to walk to my Spanish classes that start in March. (375 pesos for three months of Monday through Friday classes. I kind of can’t believe it.) Marco and Mayra live within walking distance, and when we went to the party at Marco’s house, Demien commented that we were in Beverly Hills. That seems to be a good sign. When we were inside, it seemed quiet, and it’s off from the main street. Maribel wanted me to live with someone. She lived in KY for at least a year and visited off and on for nine years. She lived with a family and she wants me to be as happy here as she was. I could probably rent alone (Cecy from yoga gave me three suggestions for elderly ladies to rent from) and be happy, but I think I will have lots of fun living with Alma. And she works all day until 8 at night, so my afternoon life wouldn’t be changing much. I think it’s going to work out great. As we were leaving her house to go pick up Mayra so they could go to another Mayra’s house to talk wedding plans (Mayra #2’s), we saw Alma’s mom pulling out of the church parking lot. We stopped and I met her. She’s precious and ready for me to move in. We picked up Mayra and then went on the search for a bus that would intersect with my Canal 3 route since that is the only bus that goes by my school. Mayra was getting all nervous thinking I had to have the route by tomorrow. Once she realized we had a little more time, she relaxed a bit. It was hilarious.
I’m now at home, realizing I must be cute and put on makeup tomorrow so Maribel doesn’t ask me what’s wrong! On that note, I must get in bed.

No comments: