Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Party like a Mexican

We got back to the house and got ready for the party. At 11 we were ready to go. All four of us. Again, Mabel asked for the address and I couldn’t give it to her… I told her we needed to stop at an Oxxo to get credit. (This is where she should have offered her phone since she has used mine more than a handful of times when she’s out of credit.) We stopped at the next Oxxo. No luck. Third time’s a charm, right? Nope. Finally at this point, Demien pulls out his phone and hands it to me to call. Which was silly since I’m not going to know based on the directions where to go. So I call Iván, tell him I’m giving him to Mabel and Demien takes the phone and gets the directions.
As we’re pulling up, the house is quiet. Freakily so. As I walk in, I realize why. They’re watching a boxing match. Thank goodness we didn’t get there at 9. We would’ve had hours of a boxing match. Luckily, we got there in time for the last three rounds and our guy (he was from Sinaloa, my state) was so swollen and torn up that he couldn’t win or even fight. They called it with one round to go.



When we walked in, I was happy to see Liliana and her boyfriend Renato. They were at the Superbowl party until late and were so much fun. Topete was there as well as the roommates Iván, Carlos and Eddy. There was a couple I didn’t know, but other than that, I owned the room. Ha! I introduced Ashley to the new folks. We watched the boxing and I got nauseated at seeing our guy’s face. How do they do it?!
After the match was over, Liliana and Renato left. She was not feeling so hot. I was disappointed that Ashley didn’t get to see them in their full effect. Eventually Alma and her boyfriend Lenin came with their friend Mayra. There was another Mayra that came, too, with her boyfriend.
The first order of business (I think) was darts. It may have been dancing, but I think we darted, then danced, then darted then danced. Who knows. That’s what I get for waiting so long to blog.
So the darts started out with just individuals. I had to work my way back up to being good. Ashley on the other hand rocked the dart board the first or second shot.
Eventually there were competitions. Teachers against teachers. US against Mexico. Girls against Guys. Pairs against other pairs. Eyes closed (I owned it). Left handed. Seated. Under the leg. At one point, it was US girls against Mexican girls. We clobbered them. Then US girls against Mexican guys. We won again. We were pretty much unstoppable. That was fun.
When we got to a darts stopping point, DJ Carlos hooked up his computer and started some music. It started as a one at a time dance party and I somehow was the first. I did my three-second gig and then passed the torch. Eventually, it finally ended up as a whole crowd dance party. I, big shocker, got hot, so I took a break outside and chatted with Lenin, Chapo (a guy from Rocio’s birthday party- he was the pro at pool), his girlfriend Carla, and Topete. I cooled off a little bit in time to participate in another 45 minutes or so of dancing. At that point, Alma and Lenin, Mabel and Demien, and maybe Carla and Chapo left. I had promised Ashley a Mexican night, so we stayed. At this point it was probably 1. Again we went back to darts and I actually got better with practice (I tend to get worse with practice, benefitting mostly from beginner’s luck.)
At some point, Judith joined us. I had never even seen this girl before, but by the time the night was over, we were good friends. She was hilarious. After several more rounds of darts and dancing (Ashley got saved by the end of the song and didn’t have to learn salsa. I on the other hand had to endure a whole song and I was already burning up before it began), we did the electric slide and their faster version (mostly just jumping around), and then I taught them the Tush Push since I had taught that at school the day before. They were quick learners, but we didn’t have a great selection of country music, so that ended quickly.
Around 3:30, the party began to fizzle and all that were left were the roommates, Ashley and me, and Topete, our ride. Topete either doesn’t take a hint, or I am unaware of the social protocol. We didn’t leave until after 4:15. As we were walking out, Carlos had showered, changed, and was heading to work! Wow.
We were finally home, clean-faced, and in bed by 5. A good time was definitely had by all and Ashley got to witness first hand how a Mexican party goes down. She summed it up pretty well saying that you hit a tired moment early on in the night, and then you start doing something else. Suddenly it’s 4 am. And it’s true. These parties (as opposed to the kind where you sit around and chill, chat and drink) keep you entertained and busy. And that helps you forget that you should be in bed.
Going to bed at 5 am is never a really good thing. BUT, the only plan we had for Sunday was to go to Mazatlán. We couldn’t check in before 3, so 1 was the ideal leaving time. That was good to know since that would only leave 6 or 7 hours of sleep assuming neither the sun nor the roommates (Mabel and Cosette) woke us up!

No comments: