Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Seafood and “Land”

After Ashley got to witness a Mexican road trip (lots of stops, slow moving), Carlos, Marisela and the other two (oops, there I go forgetting names again) met up with us at the Oxxo near the beach. We all drove together to the restaurant where we always eat in Altata. There are two Altatas. Where we eat is called Altata and it’s the original place. Where we would go later is called Nuevo Altata (new Altata), and it’s the nicer area of the beach with a club, bar and pool. It also had land for “beach houses.” These houses aren’t on the beach, but have direct access if that makes sense.
So we made our way to our restaurant that has some of the most incredible seafood you’ve ever tasted. The set-up is much like a permanent tent that opens up to the beach and ocean. The other side is the “road” (sand) and where you can park. When the tide gets going, the diners nearest the water get their feet wet!

Ashley and I “weren’t hungry” from our big breakfast with Sandra, so we decided to share a ceviche. It was good, but I think Ashley preferred Marisela’s fried fish tacos. She dressed one up for Ashley and that was the end of that. We also got a plate of clams or something that was in a shell but not oysters. I enjoyed the flavor of these things much more than I enjoy oysters. Ashley was not sold on them.
All of us had our own drinks from the trip; there was a cooler of beer, and Ashley and I had waters and Gatorades (and I had a coca light of course). This is something so Mexican that would just never fly in the US. Bring your own beverages- a cooler even! Not a problem here. Bring as much as you want, and stay as long as you want.

After a really good lunch and some pictures on the pier, we made our way to Nuevo Altata. Mabel decided she didn’t want to drive, so I drove us. We pulled up to “the land” and right now that’s all it is. It’s like a big sand parking lot. We pulled into a parking space, unloaded the car and went to sit by the pool. Ashley and I took advantage of the sun for a little tan action. It was too cold to swim, but it was fine out of the water. The others kept all their clothes on and sat in the shade. Again, a difference. My group of friends would have our towels out on the sand (or by the pool) in the direction of the sun and would soak up every last minute of tan possibility. We also would’ve arrived early to lunch, eaten quickly, and gotten our tan on ASAP. Here it seemed to be just another place to hang out. They mostly just sat, drank beer, and talked. It could’ve taken place anywhere.

Ashley and I had plans to go to the soccer game at 7 that night, so Mabel had said we could leave around 4. At 4:45, we were still sitting there and I asked when she thought we would leave. 5 was her answer. At 5:15, we were finally loading up the car. So much for showers! The ride back was long and silent. Ashley fell asleep with the wind blowing everywhere and Mabel and I didn’t speak until I had a question and she answered me with one word. This is part of what I can’t explain. I don’t know if I’ve done something to make her mad, or if she just wishes I were out so her ex can move back in or what. But it has been uncomfortable since right before Christmas.

No comments: