Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Social Protocol

The social protocol here is just so different. When we left the very crowded restaurant, Tania needed to go to the bathroom, so I offered her ours. Afterwards, we sat and chatted for a good thirty minutes at the kitchen table. She looked at her watch several times saying that she needed to go and then would go into another story. I love listening to her because she’s hilarious. She always has something sarcastic (sarcasm is different here, but still something I can relate to) to say and she keeps me on my language toes. When it finally was time to really go, I walked with her to the door and realized I should walk all the way to the car. We stopped on the sidewalk and talked for about 15 more minutes. The moment and spending time together are so important here. Much more important than following a schedule or getting enough sleep before work. That is something I hope to take back with me in July.

No comments: