Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Maribel, I mean I love her. Who do I not love here?!

Maribel, having lived in the US understands me. She’s 40, married and has two precious daughters, but she’s much like me I think. I like to think. Anyway, I think she feels guilty that she can’t do more for me than she already does. I’m more than grateful for all she already does.
Today she showed up at my school as promised and we pulled Diego from computer class. We went to the empty 6th grade room (since they were in the aula de medios and practiced. Since at the end of the school day yesterday, Diego was under the impression (as was I) that the event would be on Wednesday, he had only been required to memorize half of the paragraph, and he had gone ahead and memorized three quarters. He spoke again this morning with a relatively heavy accent due to practicing for hours by himself yesterday. However, after several rounds of repeating, he sounded pretty good. By the end of the day, there were parts of his sentences that honestly sounded native. I was so excited!
We practiced with him twice before recess and gave him a break between to go back to the computer room. At recess, Maribel and I went to get our coca lights, and she bought him a juice and some chips to motivate him.
After recess, we practiced again, this time with a marker microphone. We took out a part that tripped him up without fail and he ended up sounding really good. We worked out details for in the morning- where to meet, what to wear, etc.
It’s going to be great!
While we were waiting between practice sessions before recreo, Maribel started asking me some questions about my living situation. I had told her the day before that I was probably moving and would be seeing Alma’s house later. She got really worried for me and upset that I wasn’t happy. Of course I’m not super upset or I would’ve let someone know sooner, but at the same time, I am unhappy enough to move. Anyway, we had begun the discussion on Wednesday and she was in complete agreement that I should move. She hadn’t understood why I was here to begin with since we are so different (you’ll remember I was trying so hard in the beginning to find similarities and thought I did, but it was evident to other people that we were not similar). No one here seemed to know how I got my housing arrangement, so no one asked questions. If we had all been in communication sooner, things would probably have been different much sooner.
As it turns out, she asked me how much rent I was paying. By now, I’ve realized I have been put through the ringer (that’s not the right phrase for money…what is it?). I told Maribel and she almost fell out of her chair. And then she got mad. She said that for a place like where I am, at the very most, if someone were taking advantage of me for being a foreigner, the most I should be paying for a room is 1000 pesos. I pay three times that. Of course, with the increase of the dollar and with the price of everything else here, I am still coming out ahead. The money isn’t (for once) the issue, but the principle behind it seems to be a big one!
She told me that she and Ana Luisa had been discussing it and that they thought I was probably paying more than I should, but that it was probably 1000. That’s it.
Maribel had returned to the office yesterday and brainstormed with all the enlaces about where I could live. Ana Luisa is Diana(the singer)’s mom. Diana pays 1800 pesos per month for a one bedroom apartment in Montebello where I teach. That’s one of the very nicest parts of Culiacán. Maribel said Ana Luisa offered Diana’s place, but of course it’s a one bedroom.
Basically, I’m happy I’m moving in with Alma, and the way everyone talks they won’t be charging me rent. I plan on paying at least 1000 per month to cover my costs of living there and to say thank you. Maribel told me that if she saw me on Wednesday and I was still living here, she would not be speaking to me until I did. She was visibly upset.
After we finished with Diego, it was still a little early for dismissal, but too late to teach my last class. So we decided to go to the office. I had yet to visit the new office. It is actually on my bus route and right behind a really good bread place. Convenient.
She wanted me to visit the office and be familiar with its locations o I could stop by whenever I wanted/needed to. She also wanted to report to Ana Luisa how well it had gone with Diego. Finally, she wanted to let Ana Luisa in on how much rent I’m paying. Ana Luisa said it was “abusive.” I had no idea, of course, because I am not from here. I feel embarrassed that they think it is so bad and I had no idea. And truth be told, it was never the money.

No comments: