Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Engineer

As I’ve mentioned before, titles are very important in Mexico. The man I helped yesterday (Wednesday) is an engineer. When his secretary called me, she said, “Is this Laura? Were you expecting a call from the engineer? I’m putting you through to the engineer.” I find it somewhat humorous.
Turns out, through further conversation with Maribel today that the person she tutored who didn’t pay had some sort of Canadian connection. The only thing my guy (The Engineer) and her guy have in common are Rocio (the coordinator of the English program who called me to set it all up).
As Maribel and I are walking to the office from our bus stop, I hear my phone. I realize at this moment that “The Engineer” and I had decided the day before that he would send Carlos to pick me up at school around 12:30. It was about noon as my phone was ringing. It would be no problem (and probably easier for him to come to the English office). I answered and the call girl (ha!) told me that “The Engineer” wanted to know what I wanted for lunch. I didn’t even know what to suggest. So she suggested Chinese food, carne asada, and I stopped her. Carne asada sounded great.
I also ask if we can change the time from 12:30 to 1 since I’ll be in the office and want to be “Mexican polite” (it wouldn’t be considered rude in the US-in my opinion- to run in, say hello, and run out). She says that’s fine and I pass her off to Maribel to get good directions. Again, I have no idea where we’re headed.
Carlos picks me up and the car ride is awkward again because we have nothing to talk about. I get to the office and “The Engineer” is not there. Uh oh. More awkward waiting. His wife calls me into his office and she explains that he wants to change his registration. I try to make the call, but after a minute and a half of ringing, it would go to this busy-ish signal and then disconnect me. Once I got a voicemail, but as I was finishing, it started ringing again. Then a man picked up and said, “Bueno.” Hmm. Weird.
The food arrived and the wife left me alone in the office to eat in peace I suppose. The food was DELICIOUS. I love carne asada! Then there was the awkward waiting period wondering if I was supposed to go back out to the lobby and tell her I was finished or what. Shortly after, “The Engineer” came to the office and we began our pronunciation or websites. It was very similar to what we did yesterday, so he decided we were good to go. He suggested that he write a list of questions that he has for the EXPO people, registration, and anyone else he may encounter so he can just hand them the paper. He’s going to email it to me, and I’ll translate it and send it back. Of course, this is all on moving day and with a trip to Starbucks probably to ensure internet. That’s okay, though because the day ended with a 600 peso cash payment. Right at ten bucks an hour, which is unheard of here.

No comments: