Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Go Dorados, Go!

We got back to the house a little before 7 and decided to just shower and get ready after the game since it was likely the game would end around 9 and the party (whatever that may be) wouldn’t start until 10 at the earliest.


We walked up to the stadium and bought the best tickets you can buy. 150 pesos a piece. The seats were much more comfortable (still relative) than where Mabel and I had sat and we had a much better view of the whole field. I was not as in to this game as I was the other, but probably that was partly because I was playing social director. I did get to see our two goals and some yellow cards and a red card. Apparently our team is terrible, but the two games I’ve been to have been winners and the other team hasn’t even scored.
Ashley bought a jersey before the game and debated several other purchases during the game. I bought us a donut to share so she could experience a Mexican donut (they’re a little too doughy for me, but they’re popular here, so she needed to try it).
The mascot, the dorado (goldfish with muscular legs and a ghetto booty), entertained Ashley as much as it had me. The only thing missing from this game was the traveling band.
On our way into the game, Iván had called to get the plan for the night. I was Ashley’s social director, but he was mine this weekend. These games are LOUD (music, cheering, street noise), so I couldn’t really hear a word he was saying. I hung up and we started texting. The girls (Mazatlán girls) texted saying they were going to get sushi, but nothing else. I texted Alma asking her her plan. Iván asked if we’d prefer going out to a club or a house party. I always prefer a house party. But in Mexico, I especially prefer a house party. It’s hard to hear in clubs and it’s all hot and sweaty. Also, you pretty much have to keep dancing until 3 am, or else you get pegged as “serious” (That really rubs me the wrong way for some reason and it happens every time I go out. Mostly it’s because the way they dance and the way I dance are very different, so I end up sitting out quite a bit.).
By 8:00, the plan was made for a party at Iván’s at 9. I got a text from Alma telling me, too. And I sent one to the girls just to make sure they didn’t want to come. I texted Mabel (to give her advanced notice) from the game to see if she wanted to go. She called me, asked where the party was (I didn’t know- I still don’t know my way around this city well), and said yes she’d come and Demien would, too. Without waiting for a response, she asked if there was a problem with that. Of course I said no.
When the game was over, we bought Ashley a roasted corn and made our way to the Oxxo to buy me some phone credit. Being social director takes its toll on a phone! As luck would have it, my Oxxo was out of phone credit. Again. Awesome. Now I couldn’t get the address or communicate with anyone. Love that.

No comments: