Saturday, February 28, 2009

May the drama continue...

Thursday's teaching day was like any other good day.  I was thankful it was like any other good day instead of any other bad day.  While teaching, Maribel had called to tell me that I had some tests and certificates to pick up at the office if I could stop by.  She also told me she had good news; she had talked to Mabel and would have my birthday card from Ashley soon.
I grabbed my Canal Tres bus to downtown and hopped off at my normal stop to go home, but three blocks from the English office as well.  I am happy that I now feel comfortable enough to hang at the office whenever.  My stack of tests and certificates was covered with Diego's jacket that had been left in Maribel's car, along with his tie that he would need on Friday for escolta, their competition team that marches and carries the flag and also that participates on Monday morning honores (pledge, national anthem, etc).  I told Maribel I was interested in the details.  (She had already told me earlier in the week that she had investigated prices in Mabel's neighborhood and whole condos were renting for 4000 pesos when I was paying 3000 for basically a room.)  She said that she had called Mabel in to discuss work things.  Apparently she's not doing her lesson plans or attending meetings.  Maribel has told me on several different occasions that she doesn't return phone calls.  They first discussed the school stuff and of course it didn't go over all that well.  Being "gotten onto" is never fun.  It's really no fun when you deserve it and you know it.  I think we've all been in inaccurately accused situations, and those where we deserved it.  They're both awful.  But you know what I'm trying to say.
Then she said she started asking questions about my moving out.  Mabel was very defensive and said she had done everything she could.  That I would just come home and close the door and not talk to her.  And that I would leave without telling her.  And that if I had a problem, I should've talked to her about it.  Mabel said she was really flippant about it, yet also very mad.  She decided not to bring up the fact that she had taken advantage of me with the rent.  (When I was in the office the week before, it was discussed that Mabel had mentioned to everyone having anything to do with the Fulbright Exchange, myself included, that she would like to house the next participant.  I wondered how Mabel lived on so little work.  Now I know!)  Then, she broached the topic of the missing birthday card.  She made sure Mabel was on the same page on the rent that I owed (thought she)/didn't owe (thought I).  I had sent Maribel (at her request) a copy of my Excel spreadsheet of my daily expenses in Mexico.  Apparently Mabel thought I was paying 3000 pesos for the 3 days I was here in August.  I suppose we should've communicated that better.  I, however, assumed the first three days would be a free, getting adjusted period, or else it would go from month to month starting the 27th of each month.
Maribel said she got really flippant about the birthday card.  She didn't want to press any further, but made her promise to bring it by the office or else she wouldn't get her tests for March as well as her certificates.  Wow.  Power play for sure.  I still don't think anything will come of it, but I do appreciate Maribel's care and concern.
She also said that Mabel asked twice where I was living with whom and that she didn't tell her.  And that on more than one occasion she referred to "those friends of" mine with a turned up nose.  I think that reconfirms my thought that she was jealous.  I think there's a little more to her than that, but I think the jealousy was playing a big part.


No comments: