Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Sunday 2/15

I slept in until 9 on Sunday. The house was quiet, so I was able to sleep later. Mabel was nowhere to be found yet again. No message. Nothing.
I had no plans for the day except to hear from Alma to see her house and to possibly take a walk around the block a time or two.
I got a mass text from Tania at 10:30 that said to get up, sleepyheads and go eat sushi at 1. I was down (I taught her the phrase, “I’m down for whatever,” the week of the circus and she has used it ever since.) and told her I would meet them there to save her from having to come get me. The sushi place was close to her house, so it would be easier on her if I just took my two buses. No problem.
At 12:15, I sent her a text saying I was on my way and would probably get there right at one. She texted me right back saying she was in the neighborhood (she had stayed at the friend’s house the night before and she lived close to me) and she would come get me if I wanted. I turned around and returned home.
She picked me up and we went toward where she lives to meet up with the other two girls (neither of which I had met before today) who are her besties. She told me about the quinceañera from Saturday night and told me a little bit about the two girls we’d be eating with. One of them was the one who has been living in LA. We were on our way to her house to pick her up. Her house is also a tortilla factory. We hung out at the house for about 20 minutes while she got ready. I had a good time there because I’ve been hanging out with Tania enough that we now have some pretty funny jokes. I was able to prove myself as a Spanish speaker and feel like my funny self in Spanish (no easy feat!) in front of new people. Tania loves to use Spanglish (which of course is different from a native Spanish speaker than my Spanglish). That has been really fun. Language peeps: Nos vemos al rato. See you in a little bit. Al rato is what they use here instead of más tarde. Tania, who loves to play with words, says “Nos vemos al ratón” (See you in a rat/mouse). Since she loves to use Spanglish, I say to her, “Nos vemos al mouse,” which she finds hysterical. It’s kind of hard to think along those lines, but once you get going, it’s easier and funny all the combinations you can come up with. Tania’s a good language teacher (meaning teaching me different ways to say things in Spanish and slang and correcting me), but this was a chance for me to prove I was a good student.
The four of us drove in two cars to the Sushi Factory and (I have more to add here. Apparently I got tired the night I was writing this and never went back. Stay tuned!)

No comments: