Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Going out

Imelda and I

Cristina and Tania on the bar


We got back to the house, and this would be where I see the stark differences between Mexican welcoming and US welcoming. If I knew three girls would be coming home with me I would (Or I would expect Mom to if we were going to Glasgow) make sure things were clean: vacuum, mop, dust, etc. I would have fresh sheets on the bed and make sure the house felt presentable to my definition of the word. The house we were in had a full bed and a single bed. Neither had sheets. The girls had all brought blankets, so we would have something to wrap up in (which seems typical- we did that in Cosalá). The bathroom had cleaning supplies all over, so it was crowded, and it didn’t seem super clean. (Cultural note: all Mexicans, even in their own homes, wear shower shoes.)
We sat around in the two rocking chairs and patio chairs for an hour or so before deciding to get ready to go out. We ate some quesadillas, as if we needed any food, and took turns taking showers. Thankfully there was hot water. Unfortunately, it came from a bucket of boiling water mixed with tap water. That was interesting!
I had planned on being able to not shower the whole time I was there, but I brought products anyway. After a day of windows down and walking on the beach, I needed a shower. We all took turns with plans of being at a place called “Oysters” before 11 because it was free for women before then. At 10:40, we were leaving the house, and based on our location, I knew we wouldn’t make it. I had actually been to Oysters with Mabel and Alma (the sister) when I went with the fam back in October, but we had gone for drinks and to watch the sunset in our bathing suit, not to dance.
We arrived promptly at 11:15, so we paid our 50 pesos to enter and found a place to dance. The music was awful. None of us were having fun. No one was hitting on us.
After an hour of waiting for the next song to be great, we headed up to the main strip (a 10 minute walk) where there are something like 10 clubs all in one building right on the beach. As we were walking there, I had a foul attitude, hoping at any minute they would decide they wanted to go home instead. I had been yawning during the terrible music at Oysters and didn’t think another club would do the trick.
We got our tickets for Bora Bora (they paid for mine) and went in. It was a bigger place with a bigger crowd. Our entry fee came with a free beer, so the waiter brought us all Modelo Lights. Yuck, yuck, yuck. I had to try, just to see. Nope. Even the Mexican girls, who are weaned on beer, were gagging at this stuff!
We were immediately hit on, and I realized that was not what we were missing from Oysters. These guys would not leave us alone. We took our turns two by two going to the bathroom and they still didn’t take the hint. Two of them went away for a bit but came back. Finally, we just walked off to another part of the place. It took us awhile, but we found a place where we were in the middle of it, yet had our own space. The music was great, we were having fun, and suddenly I wasn’t tired anymore. That’s a good thing because we didn’t leave until 3:15.
We got home, faces washed, and pjs on. Bedtime: 4am.
Imelda and I shared the twin bed. Wow. I didn’t move an inch because there wasn’t an inch to move. I do think I knocked her in the face once with my arm. Oops! Luckily I was so tired from two 3-4am nights that I didn’t notice that I had no space.
This stay, in a house, was definitely a different feel than going to a hotel. Both have their advantages and both have their disadvantages. The cheap person in me enjoyed the free place to stay and free lunch and dinner (Cristina’s mom had sent the tortillas and cheese with us for dinner). The inconvenience to the beach and other things made staying in a house a little more difficult (not to mention the size of the bed!), but it was a very fun experience.

No comments: