Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A New Friend

Cecy has been my yoga friend since the beginning. She’s the one who told me how to ride to the border and then cross on foot to go to Tucson. She’s also the one who without fail will give me a ride home. She has a pretty good grip on cultural issues.
She suggested back in the fall that I move closer to downtown. I remembered this and texted her this week to see if she had any information on people who were renting. At any rate, I always love seeing her.
As she and I were catching up, I heard Cristina(teacher)’s sister speaking really good English to someone. The whole family apparently spent time in the US and they all speak really well with great fluency and accents. The girl responded in a native accent. After I finished my conversation and she hers, I saw that she was looking at a Spanish English Dictionary.
“Where are you from?”
She said Indiana is the place she’s lived longest.
“Why are you here?” She’s in the orchestra. Cool.
We chatted for a bit about why I was here and how long. Turns out she arrived about 3 weeks after me and will leave about 3 weeks before me. She asked if I knew a place where she could take Spanish lessons. She has learned quite a bit (and actually mostly through yoga), but wants lessons. Do I ever know.
I texted Alma saying I had given her her number to call about classes at Centro de Idiomas, where I will be taking my classes too. Then we both exchanged numbers. I hope there’s a time we can hang out. She said it would be nice to get away from orchestra people occasionally.
I bet.

No comments: