Saturday, January 31, 2009

Red, Red Wine

So, I'm not a wine snob.  I'm pretty far from it considering I don't drink wine often and considering I'm cheap.  
However, a girl does have standards.
Ever since filling out the "25 Things" on facebook, I've been thinking about a good glass of wine.  I bought a bottle the other night on the way to yoga and wanted to fix it the night I was cooking and jamming to iTunes, but I don't have an opener (Ashley to the rescue in six days!).  The urge passed.  
Tonight, Mabel and I went to a place called La Chuparrosa (The Hummingbird) to hear my friend Diana sing with her group Parque Madero (shameless plug: www.parquemadero.com I've actually never visited the site, so who knows what you'll get!).  I'll give more details on that in the next post (likely Sunday night).  Mabel invited some of her friends.  Marisol (who was at Carlos's birthday party and went with us to Cosalá), her boyfriend Edgar (who lives behind my Oxxo and told Marisol who told Mabel that he had sen me quite often), Elvia (Cosette's godmother who was saying "Me explico" last weekend) and her boyfriend Oscar all came.
Before they got there, Mabel and I ordered a drink each and decided to split a dessert.  I was a very bad girl today, but a slit dessert was better than a whole meal.
I went back and forth between a glass of red wine and an horchata granizada (think an horchata flavored icee).  I went with my weeklong craving of wine.  I got a Merlot, and it was actually the top of the list (which doesn't necessarily mean anything, and there were only three in said list).  The waiter comes out with a white wine glass full (full was the nice part- I got my $4 worth) of red wine.  I can see that the glass is already sweating.  That's right; it was chilled red wine.
What?!
It wasn't terrible, but it was not everything I had hoped it would be.

**On another note, it's funny to me that I've been here long enough that $4 for a glass of wine seems ridiculously expensive!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Chilled red wine? This is new...
I'm glad you are more of an avid reader of our blog than my parents...Miss you