Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Bus ride

The bus ride from Mazatlán to Culiacán is a little over two hours. I had planned on sleeping the whole way. On some bus rides, it’s dangerous to do that because you can miss your stop. This bus ended in Culiacán, so there was no danger of that. The problem, however, was that I had shorts on and a t shirt and it was freezing. The other problem was that they were playing a movie that is not in my favorite genre, but that I watched last year on my ski trip and absolutely loved. Shooter with Mark Wahlburg. It’s a really good movie! And totally not my style. I got caught up watching it.
Halfway home, I got a text from Alma saying that she was going to Altata to eat, did I want to go? Was I back yet? They could pick me up at home or the bus station. She had told me on Saturday that she wasn’t going to the Superbowl party and I can’t remember if I had responded. So when I got this, I was in a tough spot. I love hanging with Alma and hadn’t seen her this week, but I had promised to go to the Superbowl party and had left early from Mazatlán for that reason. What to do.
I texted Alma back telling her my dilemma. Add to that I still wasn’t sure how I was going to get to the party. Alma is always my ride. Cosette’s birthday party would be Monday, so I knew Mabel would be busy, not to mention she didn’t love the Titans game, so I didn’t figure she’d like a game where even I didn’t have a team. My plan now was to get to bus station, take a city bus home, see if Mabel would drop me off, or call Iván to see if anyone else coming to the party lived near me.
Alma and I went back and forth with lots of options. In the end, she told me Iván would pick me up at the bus station. His house was about 5 minutes away. My house, in comparison, is more like 15-20 minutes away.
I was set to arrive in Culiacán at a little after 3. Kickoff was at 4:30 and the party was supposedly starting at 3:30. Here I was arriving at a party before it was even supposed to begin. Again I got all worked up. The only person that I knew for sure that I would know there was Iván, and he was the host, so he’d be busy. I was pretty sure Topete would be there. He’s the guy that reminds me of Goolsby. Unfortunately not enough that we’re as close as Goolsby and I are, so I wasn’t sure he would be of any help. I had hopes of Marco(an English teacher)’s being there, but who knew.

No comments: