Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Bursting my Bubble

I got to school today to some first graders running around. After asking what was up, I realized their teacher wasn’t there. So their class would be cancelled. As fate would have it, this was the class I loved. Figures. More on the other class in the next. But as I was finishing up with the 1st grade class, Maribel appeared in my doorway. She was here to work with Diego since we would have a four day weekend and the event would probably be Wednesday (the day right after we got back).
I was feeling very deflated from that class and it showed in my face!
Diego was at some competition, so he wouldn’t be back til recess. Now my free time from my other class was going to be taken up with Maribel, but that was fine because we had much to discuss. And we did. The most important thing she told me was that these people that Rocio hooked me up with for English help are not good for paying. She said she taught them for a while and never saw a penny. She wasn’t sure if Rocio got paid and she didn’t or what. But she wanted to make sure I was going to get paid and make that known. She also said I should charge 200 pesos per hour. We’ll see if it even materializes.
It ended up taking Diego much to long to get there, so she left after recreo. On my way home, she called me to say that the event had been rescheduled for Friday. Thank goodness I had worked with Diego when he got back and given him homework for memorizing half of his speech. Granted, he’ll have to memorize the rest of it tomorrow! Maribel is coming with me to school all day to work with him all day. What a bore it will be! But we’ll get it done. And hopefully in the end he’ll look really impressive. It’s funny how quickly and easily kids learn. He read very well yesterday, but with definite accent issues. Today, after repeating me all day yesterday and most of the afternoon today, he sounded almost fluent during some parts of the sentences!

No comments: