Saturday, February 28, 2009

Running Around Town

Wednesday was our first day back from a four day weekend which should've equalled disaster.  The good news is that it didn't!  I had my first graders only Wednesday and was thankful.  I'm very nervous thinking about the end of the school year when I have finished everything with them and wonder what to do each day.  I suppose I'll spend some dough and patience and do those creative things I do at home.
School was good.  As I left home in the morning, Alma's mom had left me some freshly squeezed orange juice in a plastic bottle for me to take with me to school.  Too sweet!  I walked out the gate and Vasito followed me.  Thankfully I had seen Alma let him out and leave him, so I knew it was okay.  He's so stubborn that even though I tried not to let him out, he got out.  He followed me all the way to the bus stop, and then turned around and went back toward the house.  My own little body guard!  Of course he's super harmless, even to dogs he comes across, but he's so big that he scares people.  I'm in a great area, but if something were to scare me, he looks scary enough that people usually cross to the other side of the street to avoid him.  
My bus for my way home stops near the English office, so I decided to pop in for a visit.  Ana Luisa had told me in December that she'd love to see me just hang out whenever I could.  That's more of that Mexican culture that I have mentioned before.  Hanging out is so valued.  
As I was walking, I was thinking about something I could make for them one week to munch on.  I'm thinking puppy chow (if I can find the supplies) or benedictines and pimento cheese.
We'll see if I get motivated.
I dropped in and was warmly welcomed by all.  I stayed for about an hour just chatting and chilling.  There were four or five enlaces plus the office staff.  We joked around and talked about the US and all kinds of things.  Finally it was time for me to go home.  
On my way to the bus stop, I saw some crazy guys running.  There's no other explanation.  I was sweating in my tank top and skirt, and they were running in running pants, JACKETS with their hoods on, and some of them had toboggans under their hoods.  WHAT?!  I sweated looking at them waiting for my bus.
I got home by 2 and Mamá Alma had lunch ready to go.  I don't remember what it was this time, but I tore it up.
By the time lunch was over and Alma went back to work, I didn't do much before getting ready to go for a jog.  I haven't done any running since before I burned myself, so I'm going to try to get back into it.  That way, I'm doing something almost every day.  I also wanted to explore the neighborhood, and what better way to do it than with an iPod?
As I walked out, Vasito again decided he should go with me.  He didn't last the whole time, too many things to smell and mark.  Where I am has a great loop (although there are some intersections and terrible sidewalks that I'd like to change) that circles around to La Lomita, the big Catholic church on the hill behind my yoga place.  I walked and ran for about 30 minutes until I arrived there.  I climbed the 136 stairs running up the stairs and walking at each landing where it leveled off before a new set of steps.  At the top, I enjoyed the cool breeze and view of a city that I'm going to miss.  (Why am I nostalgic already?  Good grief!  I have four more months here!)  I did some ab stuff and some arm stuff after stretching my ridiculously tight hamstrings from my climb up.
I walked back down the steps, taking it easy on my 60 year old knees.  When I got to the bottom, I remembered that there was another route home.  Before Christmas, Mabel and I had gone to Mayrita's birthday party passing La Lomita.  I decided to test my memory and add a few more minutes to my loop.  I was right!  It's funny.  The cat calls here are a part of the culture.  And they're not nearly as prevalent as you're always prepared for.  Sure there are honks, whistles and cars that slow down for a good look.  But it's not anything like I remember being prepared for in Spanish class (or maybe I'm just too accustomed at this point, or maybe they don't give me as much attention as other people!).  The fact that they haven't cat called as much as I was prepared for, coupled with the fact that the dress code here for women is very immodest for this southern belle and very very very (got it?) tight, surprises me that when I venture out in my workout gear that I get looks like people have never seen a human being before.  I get looks, whistles, and whiplash victims!
Anyway.  Long story short, I found my way around my neighborhood very easily.  I liked the route, and I loved that I got to stop at the top of La Lomita for some peace and cool while resting my legs for a bit.  
I took my shower and graded some tests, expecting Alma around 9.  I watched some tv and read a little of my GRE book.  At 10, I figured she had stopped at Lenin's or somewhere on her way home from Navolato (she teaches English in that town, 20-40 minutes away everyday from 4-8).  She walked in just as I got upstairs and into pajamas.  She looked absolutely beat.  She said that Mayrita was going over to Iván's house if we wanted to go, but we both decided it was already late and we were tired (and I was dressed for bed).  She had had to stay a little later in Navolato, and had driven Karina (birthday from Saturday night) home.  We called it a night.
It was a very running, running day.

No comments: