Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Where to begin?

I have so much from today.  But I'll begin with the most recent...
After Casa Achoy, I got home near 7pm.  I was beat and emotionally exhausted as well (will go into that later), so I figured I'd chat or update my blog or something and then hit the sack.  6:20 came early this morning!
Mabel and I talked about all that had gone down at Casa Achoy (reading program for all students in Culiacan in 5th and 6th grade) and she asked if we were going walking or if I had work to do.  Work to do, ha!  I considered backing out, but I'm totally following the Fulbright guidelines of do what they offer you.  Besides, her middle sister Alma (not the Alma that is Shania's friend) is in town form Mexico City.  She is the one who is a ballerina and unfortunately Beauty and the Beast just finished its year long tour LAST WEEK!  I'm so bummed because I will be in Mexico City in two months for our Fulbright get-together.  As I think I have mentioned, November (two weeks before Thanksgiving) is when they have found people start going a little crazy.  The newness has worn off and it seems like life, yet the end is not in sight (though it will be for me since I'm coming home for Christmas).  I don't think I'm going to need a vent session or anything of that nature, but I do think it will be nice to see some Americans that I already know and share our experiences.
Anyway, back to tonight.
So I tell Mabel yes, I'll go walking and we load up the car to go to her dad's house to pick up Alma and her little dog (it's a maltese).  When we get there, all are in the kitchen: Dad, Maricela (youngest that I just love), Carlos (boyfriend/not boyfriend), Alma, and dog.  The men are watching some soap opera and Dad of course makes me sit down in his seat and relax.  He's so funny.  Maricela is in her role as cook and is fixing some enchiladas or something, and are we hungry?  Well, not really since I stopped for churros on the way home.  It was that kinda afternoon at Casa Achoy!  (I'm starting my diet tomorrow) :)
Alma and Maricela went at it making drinks.  I thought they were margaritas based on the salt on the edge of the cup.  Papa asked me if I wanted to try it.  I asked what it was as he was handing it to me and he said beer.  I saw things floating on top and was not excited about it, but I figured try it, who knows?
I should've known.  Disgusting.  I almost had to spit it out.  Cosette wanted a sip.  I was glad to see that she was not allowed.
After about 20 minutes there, we were headed out and Papa asked what kind of tamales we wanted for dinner.  Well, I was full from churros, but who can pass up a free authentic Mexican meal?  Not this girl.  Tamales are my favorite Mexican dish in the States.  The ones I've had compared to the ones here, so they're not my favorite dish here.  They're good, just not better than the tacos!
Alma, her dog, Cosette, Mabel and I went on our merry way to the same esplanade from before.  We walked quickly, Mabel and I, while Cosette and Alma took the leisurely pace with the dog.
After one pass, I started running.  I had gotten ahead of Mabel in my walking stride, so when I came back, she joined me running.  She only held on for about a minute and a half.  I did the whole stretch, probably 7 minutes.  Not too shabby considering it's been years since I ran on a regular basis and 5 weeks since I've done anything of serious exercise.
By the time we walked back to meet up with the girls and dog, it was time to call it a night.  Walking to the car, I told Alma that I would be in Mexico City and she asked me for the dates saying that TWO DAYS LATER they start their next show.  Freakin figures.  But she said I could stay with her.  I of course will have a hotel paid by Fulbright, so I will not take her up on that while we have our meetings, but for my extra days, I'm totally in.  She also said she would get me a pass to come see the rehearsal for their upcoming show.  And then she went into all the things I needed to see in Mexico City and all the pueblos around it.  I'm SO excited!  And I'm definitely going to stay the extra two days (one of those days is a school holiday, so I'm only missing one day of school).
We got to the house and Papa sat me right down at the table to eat dinner and had the girls waiting on me hand and foot as usual.  Alma showed me (and Cosette) all her pictures from Beauty and the Beast and from her model photo shoot.  She was chatty and fun to be around and I'm really looking forward to Mazatlan this weekend!
We are our tamales and saw the pictures, and suddenly it was almost 10, so we had to get outta there!  Mabel and I are just tired.  :)
On the way home, Mabel asked me about my school here and we went over some of the differences again.  She asked me if I could change some things, what would they be?  I was excited because sometimes she doesn't seem so interested.  
I became aware this weekend that I might not be painting the best picture of her.  Ashley asked me if she were a Debbie Downer when I said she had been in such a great mood at the birthday party.  She's a happy person and I enjoy being around her.  She's gone above and beyond to help me (practicing my bus route, taking me places, explaining some things) and I'm grateful.  I just sometimes wonder if I'm bothering her.  There I go again worrying about things that don't matter.  I would do this for Yuri, so I need to just get over it.  But when we have conversations like that or we have a really good time, it makes me happy.
So the changes I told her were that the schools would be: 
  • all one building since the outside noise, the entering dogs, etc get in the way
  • English teachers would have their own rooms
  • parents would not be allowed in the classrooms without permission (requiring the one building so they would have to stop by the office)
But I also told her that I knew these were things that couldn't change.
Now we're home and I'm stinky.  I'm going to take a quick shower in hopes of adding one or two more entries before bed.
Nighty night!

No comments: