Friday, September 19, 2008

Eyebrows Walking

I have started picking up on the gestures down here.  It's funny and automatic; I didn't have to try.  I'm not there yet on hand gestures when speaking, but I'm getting closer- I've already made the effort to do the "come here" correctly.  In English, we have our palm facing up and then we close it meaning come here, or else we do the one finger.  Here, as well as in Honduras and Guatemala, come here is done with your palm down and it's like you're scooping something off of a plate.  More or less.
Anyhow, the thing I've actually noticed is my eyebrows.  When you don't hear something, or are confused, if you don't say "mande," or you don't say anything at all, your eyebrows raise as well as a head jolt backwards.  I have found myself doing that quite often.  Give me another  month and see how well I fit in!

No comments: