Sunday, September 28, 2008

Internet & Achoy

Thursday I was internet-less.  I had decided I would not go to Casa Achoy until we had made a decision since it seemed no decision was being made about my pay.  So, Thursday after school, I made my way home and planned on doing things: blog, pictures, tv, chat, etc.  No internet.  So I watched a BUNCH of tv.  I also, consequently, called the yoga place and it's HOT YOGA!  It's not near my house, but the only two times I can go are Tuesday and Thursday nights at 7.  I'll already be at Casa Achoy (get to that later) until 6 and halfway there, so it won't be so bad!
Wednesday at Casa Achoy, I had distanced myself enough from the situation to decide I wanted nothing to do with Casa Achoy.  I mean, I wanted to do it and get paid, but it seemed that would not happen.  When I got there Wednesday, no kids showed.  The whole time.  We spent the first little bit getting ready and he vented a bit about enlaces and their jobs and how some of them don't do their jobs and get to sit in a/c (I don't know what he's complaining about; all his jobs are in air conditioning).  We got everything set up and then he said sometimes, when the enlaces don't inform the school well enough, the kids don't come, but that we needed to wait until after 5 when the second batch has had a chance to get there.  He put in the promotional DVD for Casa Achoy as well as English in general for Culiacán (I found my accents!) and I watched the thing from start to finish.  It made me really ready to work there.  For lack of a better term, there's a production in December.  Throughout the next few months we'll choose a few talented and special kids to come on Fridays in November and every afternoon in December.  We drop our other class and work with this select group on the production.  It'll include a synopsis of what we taught them when they came about Octavio Paz as well as some Christmas things (since it will be Christmas time).  Should be interesting doing a Christmas show in a tank top!
So I got excited about it, but knew that I shouldn't keep going until I was told I was getting paid or else it would be Christmas, I would be putting on this show and still working as a volunteer!
So Thursday I came home and had NO internet and was peeved, but dealt with it.  Mabel's previous attribution to the weather may make sense.  At 8:00 that night, she got home (she'd been to Altata with Alma, her sister) and it started pouring.  I mean, nonstop.  My window leaks, so she came in to help sop it up (usually a small hand towel compressed in the windowsill does the trick) and was here for over an hour.  The "new" season of Grey (last year's Grey's Anatomy) was on so we watched that while she mopped a whole bucket full of water.  She first used the hand towel.  Then she used Cosette's towel (she was at Papá's to go to Mazatlán Friday morning with them and skip school-LUCKY).  Then she shoved both of those in the window and got the mop.  After Grey was over, the rain had stopped and we went to sleep. 

No comments: