Monday, September 29, 2008

More bus

For every woman I've had to crawl across on the bus to sit in the window, who did nothing to make that easier for me, there have been at least as many people who were helpful.  I've been pretty amazed at how aware people have been on the bus of elderly and women.  I got on the bus one morning and it was full and a man got up and let me have his seat.  I see that almost every time I'm on the bus.  
Today, on the way to school, a blind couple was walking up the road and it was obvious they heard the bus and started walking toward it.  We would have to wait about 2 minutes for them to get to us, so I assumed we'd leave them.  The bus driver waited, asked them where they were going, and when it was obvious they needed the same bus going the other direction, he got out and walked them across the street, flagging down the bus.  
This afternoon, the red shirts invaded again.  As it got fuller and fuller, a teenage boy got up for his female classmate.  Another tried and the girl said, "Keep your seat.  I'm fine; stay seated."
Chatting with Mom tonight, she was telling me about some kids I used to babysit.  When they were babies.  The oldest is now a back-up quarterback for my alma mater.  He's a sophomore.  His baby sister is on the golf team.
That made me feel really old.  As I write this, I realize I'm one of those old people now, not just because someone got up for me to have his seat, but because I see "kids" (I feel like I'm about 2 years older than these high school kids until I realize I've called them kids) doing the right thing and appreciate it.  Who am I and just where did the time go?!

No comments: