Monday, September 8, 2008

Fiesta with the Fam

Carmen, Yuri's aunt

Mabel and I, about to prepare our razpachos

Could I make it in Mexico as a street vendor?


This evening, around 5 something, Carmen, Yuri's aunt, called Mabel and told her we were invited to Yuri's mom's house for a party.  A get-together if you will.  I'm tired, I had to plan for tomorrow, I didn't want to go, and I figured Mabel didn't either, but I told her if she wanted to, we'd go.  We went.  I'm so glad we did!  The house where we went is Yuri's childhood house, but no one lives there anymore.  They use it only for parties.  I don't get the impression it's like their summer home and they have houses all over.  I think they're just in the process of selling and no one has bought? It's a very large house.  It looks old.  It had nice architecture (what do I know?) and neat things, like the windows and the ceilings.  It also had a dance floor (more or less) on the roof.  I took several pictures from the rooftop.  It was a really neat place.  There were four bedrooms upstairs and a common area where apparently Yuri had set up her gym.  Each bedroom had a small bathroom and nice closets.  Downstairs was the garage, main living room, kitchen, bathroom, laundry-type room, and open area that led to steps to the roof.We sat around and chatted, Carmen the aunt, Mabel, Yuri's mom, and two of her friends while munching on salchicha (hot dogs), pork rinds (bleh), and mango (yum).  After about an hour or so of chatting, we started making the same drink Mabel had introduced me to last week: razpacho or something like that.  I may be way off.  Can't ever remember the new words when I need to!
The drink is basically a snow-cone or shaved ice with cooked fruit and condensed milk over the top of it.  The fruit she had cooked was again plums, and it was good.  This is something I hope to bring back.  Not the drink, but the ability to make it.  I'll have to buy one of their little ice shaving tools!  How neat would that be to share with my students?!  

No comments: