Thursday, September 11, 2008

Rain, rain, here to stay...

The rain woke me up again this morning before six, but I almost jumped out of bed knowing I would get to sleep in until 7:20!!!!  When I left, it was raining pretty hard, but I was armed with my American shorts, my Titans t-shirt, my American backpack, and my American raincoat!  I waited on the bus and waited and waited.  One passed me.  I had waited ten minutes and thought, "this is not a mandatory day for me; I'll just got back to bed if one doesn't come in the next two minutes."  As luck would have it...
So I got on the bus, loaded down with all my teaching materials for my grand day o' planning, and I see one seat available, even though several are standing.  Knowing I have a thirty minute ride ahead of me, I mosey my way to the back and crawl over the ever so kind woman who made eye contact, yet didn't budge for me to slide past her with my extra-large backpack, purse and drippy raincoat.  There's that Mexican hospitality I love! :)
I had decided since this meeting was "voluntary" for me, that I could arrive at 8 or after.  This was still hard for me, but as I was getting ready and heard the continuing rain, I considered reconsidering on more than one occasion.
I got to school promptly at 8:30 and there was no sign of anyone.  I was starving, having not eaten breakfast in order to enjoy their homemade breakfast.  I got my stuff organized by pile in the Teachers' room, and then hopped down to the air conditioned 6th grade room.  They had already begun their meeting.  There was a presenter using the projector (it works!) that 5th and 6th grade both have but I'm not certain they use.  I asked the Principal quietly if I could have more copy paper and he told me where to find it.  Then I got on my way.  I was ticked I had missed breakfast.  How in the world could they be so punctual on a planning day and already finished breakfast?!  I was peeved.  And hungry.  I traipsed across the street to a little store (the front of a student's house) to buy a diet coke and something to eat.  I decided on Oatmeal cookies because it seemed like less of a dessert than chocolate.  I feasted and then got down to work.
I started with 1st grade and got them planned for the next 2.5 weeks including making a list of all the copies I would need.  The first grade book is the new one this year for which I went to the training when I first got here.  It is an English teaching book, with a workbook, CD and homework book.  The book is catered to Sinaloa (the state where I am).  It's set up very well and is teacher friendly.  I'm not sure how much the kids can learn from it, but so far so good.  Once they all have the book, we should be in better shape.  As I was in the office copying the pages I needed for my first grade classes, Hernan (custodian) comes in to tell me they're about to eat.  I should've known!  I finish my copies and the principal comes in, telling me the same.  I think I was supposed to drop everything and run to come eat; I wanted my copy pile neat and tidy.
I went to join the group and was stopped in the recreo area by the presenters.  I was introduced by the principal, and then I chatted with the two men for quite a while.  We talked travel, teaching, language, etc.  He said Americans are willing to try to speak.  Mexicans have all learned English, but are too embarrassed to try.  I found that funny because I'm way too embarrassed to speak Spanish in the States.  Here, I'm fine with it.  Anyway, one of the guys asked me if I were taking classes and I said I'd like to take some Spanish classes, but I'm not sure when I'll have time, etc.  The other guy tells me there's a woman who is a retired teacher, married to a very prestigious doctor (also retired) who has a kind heart and an interest in helping.  He suggested I talk to her about Spanish "classes" because she could cater to my schedule.  He also said I had an "advanced level" so there to all you others who've been telling me I'm having trouble! :)
I went in to get breakfast and it was soft tacos for lack of accurate translation.  The third grade male teacher had homemade tortillas and they were still piping hot (how does that work two hours later?!) with some meat called machaca.  I think machaca just details the way it's prepared.  I loaded up with avocado, salsa and beans.  It was delicious.  I had two and carried on with my copies and planning.  I had planned on being gone by 10:30 or 11, but at 12:10 I was still copying.  I will say that my locker is in complete order and my copies and plans are all where they should be.  I'll still have some copying to do during recreo in the next few days, but I feel good about my hard work this morning!

No comments: