Friday, September 5, 2008

Turner

While eating lunch at Mabel's dad's yesterday, Maricela had cooked and I noticed her relationship with Cosette, her niece.  I would've noticed this anyway because I'm always interested in the relationship with an aunt as I have so many and different relationships with each that have changed as I grew.  Mostly, because I can't put into words the way I feel about Turner and how important every aspect of his life is to me.
The whole time I've been here, obviously I've been with Mabel.  I've been noticing her relationship as a mother with Cosette as well as trying to notice all mother/child relationships.  I have no conclusions yet.  You know I will soon!
It seemed to me with Cosette, that even though she was a teacher, Mabel never felt the need to "teach" Cosette anything.  This is strange to me as I see every moment with a child as a teachable moment.  The times when Cosette would whine whine whine with the best of 'em, she didn't seem bothered and wouldn't do anything to make her stop.  Yet times when she was cute or funny or interested in something, Mabel would seem uninterested or bothered.  It's kind of hard to explain, as I already said!
At lunch, with Maricela, Cosette was begging for these magnets of Disney characters that you get free at the Oxxo (home of my Coca Light and Magnum bar) if you spend 30 pesos or more.  Maricela had a huge collection of them that apparently she gives whenever Cosette visits.
Cosette was giving her lip about them, and Maricela said, "No, none for you this time, you haven't eaten your lunch."  Another time, she reprimanded her for interrupting explaining that that was rude.  Still another time, she corrected her "rudeness" in asking what.  I suppose this translates a bit to "What?" versus "Ma'am?" or "Sir?"  But here, everyone says "mande" (MAHN-day) to everyone no matter the age, etc.  It's used when you didn't hear what they said or you want them to repeat for some reason or when they say your name.  Literally, I think it's something to the affect of "at your orders."  
I should insert here, that as we were leaving, Maricela gave Cosette not just one of those magnets, but all then that she had!
Watching Maricela clearly play the role of teacher to Cosette was so interesting to me.  I found myself thinking, "What does she have to gain from this?"  Wow.  Well, lots.  Turner has so many people in his life correcting him (in a good way) and helping him find his own way to be a pleasant, well-mannered, well-behaved, citizen more or less.  Andy and Amanda from day one have allowed, wanted, and asked for those around Turner who love him to correct him and to not give into his every whim and to reprimand him when he needs it.  I identified so much with Maricela that day, especially now upon reflection.
I love you, Turner!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And how about that visit to the bookstore? MOM

Amanda said...

Turner will thank you ALL someday when he goes off to college and his instructors fall in love with him b/c he is the ONLY kid not sitting there with smug entitlement all over his face. He'll really want to learn (I hope). At the least, he'll say Ma'am and Sir and that melts everyone.