Thursday, September 4, 2008

La Red!

The internet is called la Red in Spanish.  And I have it back!  I couldn't be happier.  Mabel thinks it disappeared for two days because of the weather.  I don't know why and I don't care...it's back!
I must admit that my first day teaching was a failure.  Not so much in teaching, although first grade is going to prove to be a challenge.  A BIG one!
I didn't take a single picture.  There's something about being the foreigner that stinks.  But it's worse to be the foreigner and then ACT like the foreigner.  I was hesitant about my camera the first few days.  The very first day I kept all my things by my side: loaded down backpack, purse, camera, posters that I'd made of songs and greetings, everything.  Now, I leave my backpack in the teachers' room which is also the computer lab if the students have computer class (have yet to see this because the computer teacher/secretary has been "subbing" in 4th grade since their teacher was in a wreck), and I take my cell phone in my pocket, my markers and anything I need for teaching that day.
My schedule is confusing.  I will try to explain why it's confusing, but that may confuse further.  I will try to be brief. Ha!  So I teach one class of each grade 2-6 and two classes of 1st.  That's all the students in the school.  Obviously, it would be easier to have 1 grade classes be on the same day.  These are the days I will be most tired.  Now, I have one first grade class on Monday and Tuesday.  Then on Wednesday, I start the 1st class with the other first grade and Thursday I have the 2nd class for one group and the 3rd class for another.  It would be a headache to try to keep them straight.  Also, 4th and 5th grade are on the same level because one year there wasn't a book or they didn't have English or some such.  At any rate, same as with 1st.  Would be easier to have them together and I don't.
The PE teacher, I know his name starts with R, but it has left me, is amazing.  He's there 3 days a week and is of course awesome with the kids, but he is so helpful to me!  He and the support teacher are my biggest friends right now.  As well as the custodian, Hernan (air-NON).  They're chatty, they're helpful, and they speak slowly and understand when I don't understand.
So my first few days have been great.  The issue here is books.  I teach at Lockeland with no books.  However, my first year, I slaved (Ashley slaved with me because she was out of school that semester with her concussion, but bored at home...friend as I am, I put her to work.  Thus began her interest in teaching!) to create my curriculum, visuals, etc.  Of course, now I'm lazy and should add more and have more time, but haven't done anything yet!  Anyway, I'm sued to working IN SPANISH with no books because I have everything created.  Here it's not so easy.  The school gives me unlimited paper, copies, etc.  But there's no teachers' workroom.  There's no construction paper or laminator!  At Lockeland, I would stay until 5 or 6 that first year (mind you I didn't have cable at home, so it was nice to watch Oprah while I worked) and get some things made.  Here, everyone is out the door at 12.  My classes are everyday until 12 in September because it's hot.  In October, they'll be til 12:30.  I start Tuesdays at 8 and all the other days at 8:50.  It's a pretty decent schedule.  I know Lori...decent is not the word you would use.  This would be a great time to remind you that there's no air in the school except in the 5th and 6th grade classes.  By then I've sweated all morning that it kinda doesn't matter!
In the States, the youngest are my favorites.  I love their passion for school, their desire to learn, their willingness to tell the truth even if it costs them.  Here, I love the oldest.  They LOVE English, they understand that my being here is a "novelty" as the principal said today, and they are basically well-behaved.  The video that I'll put at the end is a video of me walking to my fifth grade class.  The whole school is like it looks in this video.  I'm walking across the PE room.  It's outside.  This is where everyone congregates in the morning before the PE teacher lines them up and dismisses them to class.  I will video that one day too!  The 5th and 6th grade classrooms are the only rooms in the building where I'm walking.  Firsts share a building, 2nd and 3rd, and 4th shares with the computer room and office.  When I walk into 5th grade (and 6th) they immediately stand, no matter what they're doing.  They do this with the principal as well, in Spanish.  They say Good morning, teacher and wait for me to greet them and tell them to sit down.  It's a cultural school thing.
The issue, though, with not having supplies, is that here, the teacher gets the books.  That's right, in order for all 200+ of my students to have their books, they pay ME, I go get them, and I deliver them.  That means I have to keep money, list of names, and such of all those who get books.  Also, not all of them get books.  So this week, I've been doing introductions, talking about me and my family, and such.  We'll start Monday with the book, but many students won't have books.  Next month, several still won't have them.  Here, even though it's also prohibited, copies are made.  Thankfully I have my enlace Maribel to help me through all this.  I've been accepting money and making my lists.  We'll see if it all works out!
What else?
Let's see, yesterday, I got off the bus right before downtown (el centro) and walked probably a mile each way up the main drag called Obregon.  It's the name of a city in the state just north of us.  Also the name of a man, I think.  I'm maybe showing my ignorance here...  I got off because I had seen a Pilates studio and a yoga place.  I went to both which were conveniently closed for lunch (1-3ish), but I got their numbers and schedules.  I'm not sure I'll have time for either by the time I ride the bus 40 minutes and eat and head to my second job.  Which brings me to my second job.  I have agreed to work in Casa Achoy form 4-6 everyday.  I think I may opt out of this in the Spring since I may have visitors then.  It's a reading program in English.  Basically, I will be with another teacher, teaching kids about Octavio Paz in English.  All school students are invited and it's free.  They have a specific day for their school to come, and it's only open to 5th and 6th grade.  It should be pretty fun.
I went yesterday to the building where it will be with Mabel.  She wanted me to practice the bus so I could get there by myself.  Well, we got lost.  It was no less than a thousand degrees and I had already sweated profusely looking for yoga and Pilates.  By the time we left for Casa Achoy, I had cooled off sufficiently, but then again, I looked like I had just come from Hot Yoga!
We got there, and it was actually a meeting for the enlaces (coordinators/supervisors), so Maribel was there.  But we were there so I could be introduced, so I could see where it was, and so I could find out some things about the program.
While there, Maribel introduced me and said you young and pretty ones who go out, invite her!  So we chatted after.  Almita is a friend of Shania's who had called me on Saturday.  She's very nice and we made plans with all the enlaces and Mabel to go to a sushi place where one of the enlaces sings every Saturday.  Also, the next weekend is a four day weekend for Independence Day (9-15), so I think we're going to Los Cabos.  It's only 80 bucks each way by plane!
Also tomorrow, I have a baby shower in the neighborhood.  And at school tomorrow, during recreo (un-supervised recess, Bewley, can you believe it?!), the 30 minutes where all teachers have a break, or faculty meeting, or cool off in a/c, or whatever while the children play and buy snacks (paletas- Mexican fruit popcicles- are 30 cents!!!), we're having a celebration for all the September birthdays.  The teachers are all bringing something.  Since I'm new, I'm off the hook this time...  I'm sure they've got nothin' on Lockeland's potlucks, but we shall soon see!
The bus ride is getting easier, and soon enough, overly-punctual Laura will chill out and not be thirty minutes early.  The first day, I was afraid I was on the wrong bus!  It was the first time I kind of knew where I was, and of course buses loop around and go in circles, etc.  I was afraid I was on the wrong bus and would miss my first day!  I made it.

No comments: