Monday, September 8, 2008

Honores y Libros

This morning, I arrived at school at 8 even though it's an 8:50 day.  This week and next week I will be available to the parents so they can pay me for the book without interrupting my classes!  Every Monday, they have "Honores."  During Honores they say their pledge, sing their anthem, and there are 5 girls (I suppose different girls each week?) chosen to wear long sleeved white blouses (I don't use the word blouse, but it's the only one that is accurate!) with skirts and gloves and one of them carries the very large flag and the others march while yet another shouts the orders.  It's all very cute.  The whole school is around the perimeter of the Recreo area and participates when appropriate.
The Honores time is also when each grade can showcase some work.  The third grade teacher was in charge this week, so third graders had made the shields of each city, town, etc in Sinaloa (my state).  They marched around one by one showing their work while the teacher read a description of the area.  It's a neat concept.
At 8:30, the procession/production was over.  I didn't have my camera because I had everything else in my backpack and it was too heavy and too big to add a camera to it!  There will be many more Mondays and I will definitely catch it on film!
I sold several more books today.  That's exciting.  When the students saw their friends getting the books they had paid for last week, of course they wanted theirs.  Maribel is coming to school tomorrow to bring me some more.  It's ridiculously hard to teach when your students don't have the book.  And when the copier is slow.  And when the goal seems to be being the first out the door at 12!  Everything is shut down and locked up by 12:15.  So long days of hanging around after school and getting things done.  There's something so uncomfortable about that.  There's also something so nice!

No comments: