Monday, September 22, 2008

Breakfast with the Padre

Saturday around 10, after I had eaten breakfast, Mabel asked me if I wanted to do laundry. I did not have much, but last time I said no, I had to wait three weeks and pack all my laundry for my 80 hour journey to Tucson.  I said yes.
We went on over to Dr. Dad's house and Maricela was going at it in the kitchen: cutting fruit, cooking vegetables and making juice!  Mabel started her load (I wish she'd just added my 5 things with her load, but she didn't) and her dad walked in from his appointment.  He asked if I'd eaten breakfast and I said yes.  He said to join him anyway and enjoy some fruit.  Maricela loaded up my plate.  I'm not sure what she did for the next 30 minutes because she was all set to eat with him.  So I sat and we ate and he asked me all kinds of questions.  He's thinking about buying a new Civic, so he showed me the catalogue and asked me what I thought.  I of course told him that I was a huge Honda fan.
Then Mabel came and we talked about our upcoming weekend in Cosala.  Mabel had never been either.  He corrected her and said that she had gone with her mother at some point, but that she was still a very little girl.
He asked about where we were staying and she said in some house and that we didn't know how many would end up going.  He said that if we had no place to stay just to ask around, that the people of Cosala were very friendly and would put us up for the night.
Um.
About an hour later, Mabel's laundry was finished and I put mine in.
After the hour that it took, we were on our way.  We stopped to get bug repellent on the way home since Cosala is known for its mosquitos.
We got home at 12:30 and I had exactly one hour to shower, pack and email/chat with everyone I needed to before I was gone.
Mabel was packed and ready, holding our sandwiches for lunch at 1:15, so I hurried, even though by now I knew no reason to hurry.
This post, though was mostly about Mabel's dad.  I just love him.  He's a sweet man, who wants to have a conversation.  He also is "very boring" according to Cosette.  He's younger than my parents, but has more of a grandparent feel to him.  I enjoy being around him.

No comments: