Monday, September 1, 2008

Mark Jent, eat your heart out!

After chatting with several people today as well as enduring a hard day's work (ha!), I had a killer headache.  There are really lots of things to blame for this: a not-so-perfect-as-my-bed bed, no yoga, too much time on the computer, too much time on the computer on my lap instead of at eye level (I have since rigged my upside down laundry basket to be my on-bed desk see left), too much heat, and no caffeine for the day.  I'm not a caffeine fiend, but I do enjoy a can a day.  If I go a day or two without, it is usually fine.  Today, however, there were other contributing factors.  After I found my advil (I KNEW I had seen it.  The first day, Cosette thought it was candy and "borrowed" it.  Mabel asked me if it was candy and I said no, but somehow it still didn't make it to my room.  When I told Mabel I had a headache and couldn't find my medicine, ta-da!  I hadn't remembered that.
At any rate, I also told her I thought I needed a Coca Light and was headed up to the Oxxo (Walgreen's equivalent, sort of.  Maybe more like a gas station equivalent without the gas) to buy one.  I went, and while there, they not only had Coca Light in a can (my preference), but they had Magnum bars!!!!  I'll get to the Magnums in a minute.  The canned coke is half as much for ten cents less than a bottle, so I'm going to have to deal as I have since I got here with bottles.  But I splurged this time because of the headache.
:)
I also got a bottle to put in the fridge for future freak outs/headaches.  
I saw the magical freezer by the door and checked out its contents.  Since I have had almost nothing sweet since arriving last Tuesday, I decided on a Magnum.  I forgot to mention on
 Saturday when we ate with Mabel's dad and sister that after lunch, Mabel ordered 
(well, picked off the passing dessert cart) a flan.  She got it for the whole table and I had my share.  I don't know if I just wanted sweet, or if it's better here, but I really liked it.  I think the most likely culprit for my not liking it in the past is that my first experience with flan was with Honey.  When I was little, I wanted nothing more than to be like Honey.  I wore my watch on my right hand, I had her initials, I crossed my legs when I was supposed to, etc.  She told me flan wasn't very good and when we tried it, I appropriately didn't like it. :)  In college, when Senora took us to a Mexican restaurant to test out our speaking skills, she made us try it and I decided yet again that I didn't like it.
This time, however, it was yummy.  
So I get to the Oxxo, get my canned Coca Light, my bottled Coca Light, grab a roll of toilet paper (Most schools are SUPPOSED to have it in the teachers' bathroom, but it doesn't 
always make it there, or it gets stolen or it runs out and doesn't get replaced.  No matter the cause, I've been told by people in DC and also here to always carry a roll; I find it hilarious!  Imagine me be-bopping around Culiacan with a Coach purse- Ashley's old one that she'd worn out that had a top-zipper and perfectly hanging handles- full of a roll or tp, but I'll be glad when the time comes!), and pick up a single serving of Principe cookies, the kind I had in Spain.  I decide on the Magnum that is $1.20.  That's 12 pesos.  In Jent world, no amount is too much.  They had the original, which is basically a Klondike on a stick, or a Dove bar (I know nothing compares, Jent, but for those who don't know!) and they had the one I got: Essence.  It was the kind without a stick and somewhat in the shape of a peanut.  The ice cream inside was almond flavored, with a stripe of chocalatey, gooey ice cream.  It was amazing!  And I don't think all Magnums are amazing.  My Coca Light in a can and my Magnum saved the day today!
On a side note, it is 90 degrees in my room.  I have my fan going all day and I have my window open which causes a wind tunnel from my room (back of house) to Mabel's room (front of house).  This is a picture of my air conditioner so you can get an idea.
I'm so excited about the real "first day of school" tomorrow I could squeal!  I probably won't sleep a wink tonight. But I hope I do because I'm beat!
I'm also a little peeved because I wore my first day outfit today. :)
Will let you know how it goes.  Don't you already know that!!!
Don't worry: soon my blogs will go from being several in a day to several in a month and you won't be so tired of reading.
Love love love.

1 comment:

Jenna said...

Yay for getting a coke!! Hope your room cools off soon :)

Love you!