Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Better Spanish?

Today during recreo, the people who had come during the planning day to tell us that our schedule might change were there.  I spoke to the man that I had talked to on the planning day, and then the woman asked me if I were the English teacher and if the teacher changed every year.  So I explained why I was there, etc.  Then the third grade teacher asked me if my Spanish were getting better.  I couldn't tell if he was asking my opinion or if he thought it was getting better.  So I said yes, and the Special Ed teacher piped in that I was using more words.  I explained that Mexicans speak so quickly.  They don't cut off their words like, who is it, Cubans?  Chileans?  But they kind of "swallow" the last part of words.  They speak with a very closed mouth and many of the words they use are not words I've studied.  Then the 3rd grade teacher told me that I was understanding a lot more and quicker.  So I suppose he was complimenting instead of asking in the beginning.  That did a lot for my confidence!

No comments: