Thursday, September 11, 2008

Mercado

Since it was such a rainy day, I went back and forth debating whether I should continue with my downtown plans.  I've had a semi-boring week, so I went with the adventure.  I texted Mabel (who had called at 10:30 to ask if it were raining where I was and did I need a ride) and told her my plans and if they wanted to meet me for lunch to come on.
She politely passed.
I got off the bus at one of the downtown stops and walked back towards my school.  The taco place was farther up, but I wanted to hit everything up til the taco place.  I went in a few shops, buying nothing more than a pair of $4 flip flops and some hair bands.  I found my way to the Brunette Brothers' taco corner (don't know if that's their last name or their description) and sat for two tacos with everything and two glasses of horchata (rice milk that is somehow so satisfying) for 36 pesos.  $3.50 for a big lunch, no complaints!
I decided at this point to venture a little into the centro instead of just staying in a straight line (ensuring I knew where my bus was!).  I went into the market and saw the fish, fruit, cheese, etc.  I shopped around at the stands nearby.  I was thinking I might want one of those drinks, or something sweet to top off my lunch when I happened upon a churros stand.  Oh. My. Goodness.  I cannot even begin to explain the deliciousness!  Churros are long donut type things that are kind of tube-like.  They have sugar on the outside and are crunchier than donuts (Mom, you'll love them).  They put this sauce in the middle if you want it (Cinnamon caramel-esque) and they're just incredible.  
I was still checking out the scenery and local sales when it looked cloudy again and I wanted to be back to my house in time to relax a minute before Marielos (she who heard I need help with my Spanish) came to get me for our meeting at Casa Achoy (reading program).
While waiting for the bus, I saw some red-shirts.  
There was a big crowd waiting for the bus.  When it came, it was every man for himself.  Unfortunately, the man in front of me was being polite and letting others on.  I, all the while, was getting a bit wetter and more ready by the minute to be on the bus and seated.  I had a repeat from the morning, where the woman on the aisle seat was not overly concerned with making my path to my window seat easy.  I had made it easier on myself, though by leaving my books and backpack at school.  I had only my purse, camera, money and cell phone (I have long since abandoned my toilet paper since I'm never anywhere over 4 hours and I don't have a lot of liquid in the morning).
I have gotten home, now updated my blog, and I'm about to head out to my meeting when Marielos comes to get me.  Almita just texted me saying weekend plans have changed and she'll let me know tonight.  No matter what it is, should be interesting!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know that about the only thing you remember from the trip to cali is the awful ride back but you are definitely right about how wonderful they are, we ate plenty of them at the san diego zoo. Hope all is well. I am w/o internet at this time, typing this as T is taking a bath at his house. Try to get in touch soon.


A