Friday, September 19, 2008

Teaching a Few

I realize this is a large, very large photo.  I wanted you to see the details, though, so it was necessary.  This is me with my fourth graders.  You'll notice that there are not a thousand of them like there are in all the other grades!  There are only 21 when they're all there.  That makes it so nice and easy.  I complain about 21 at Lockeland because my tables are set up so pretty for 20, and 21 means one child is all alone at a desk.  My mind has shifted a bit (on more than this issue, as you've been noticing in my entries) about the numbers.  I enjoy the size of this class.  They're a bit rough around the edges and come in from recreo to English class very loudly and with lots of energy, but they enjoy the class and for the most part give me their attention (that is to say that since there are fewer of them, when half the class talks, it's not so bad).  This was my repeat lesson of the clothing unit from yesterday with 5th grade.  Remember that there was a year when there was no English, or no book or some such, so 4th and 5th grade are on the same level.  Since yesterday was our in-school "faculty meeting" with students working independently and unattended, I didn't get to have my 4th grade class.  I enjoyed this lesson very much because it gave me a chance to be silly with these two groups, which always wins over your students.  You'll notice the skirt doesn't look to weird, but I put it on over the skirt I already had.  I added the white shirt and cap.  If you look closely, you can see my (smartwool and very thick) sock on my right foot with my gladiator sandal over the sock and my tennis shoe on my left foot.  Their teacher graciously took this picture for me.

No comments: