Monday, September 8, 2008

Camion

(Kah-me-OWN)  The translation I learned was truck, but here it's the word they use for a bus.  I should apologize (although to whom I'm not sure since it's doubtful any Mexican bus-drivers are reading my blog); not all bus drivers are in it to get you there in 5 minutes flat with no concern for the well-being of your hind parts or anything else for that matter.  Some actually offer a smooth ride.  When I'm loaded down with heavy backpack, too many materials and not correct change, it seems to be a risky driver.  Regardless, like most places, the service depends on the person.
When I leave school, our school is the last/first stop.  So I could be getting onto an empty bus.  However, since it is school's end, city-wide, there are already high school students who catch the bus coming toward me (about 3 stops early) and then ride it around to ensure they have a seat.  The air conditioned buses are 6 pesos and the un are 5.  Depending on the day, I'm willing to wait for the extra 10 cent air!
Today, I wanted to see where else my bus went.  I had heard that my stop in the morning near my house was close to the beginning.  I wanted to see what I was missing and I had no plans for the afternoon, so I kept riding.  45 minutes later I was back at my stop, never to see those 45 minutes again.  It was mostly dirt road and nothing of importance to me.  I live on the outskirts of town, and this route only went to a more "outskirtly" area.  Now I know!

No comments: