Friday, September 5, 2008

After school

During recreo, I got into my "locker" (top drawer of a file cabinet) and saw that I had missed a call.  It was not a number I knew and I don't have voicemail.  Receiving calls here is free.  Dialing them is not.  Since that is the case, no matter where you are- church, teaching, eating with friends, an interview, pretty much anywhere- you answer your phone.  It's not as rude as when we do that because since it costs the caller money, it's a very quick call.
Anyway, in my last class of the day, 4th grade (11:50), I received a call (yes, while teaching, so hard!) from Maribel (my enlace).  She wanted to know how many parents had paid me for books so she could bring them to school and drop them off for delivery to the students (only about 20 or the 200) on Monday.  Since she was there, she took me in her car to pick up her two girls from Colegio Sinaloa, a HUGE kindergarten, primary and middle school.  It's a catholic school, but they're not practicing Catholics.  We were there early, so she showed me around the kinder and then around the colegio.  WOW.  The difference in public and private.  Though after being in Nashville, I have seen that difference.  She bought me a popsicle.  The same kind we have at my school, only in bags.  Think flav-o-freeze or whatever they're called.  It was also 3 pesos.  We picked up her girls, which she calls very blonde and with blue eyes.  I wouldn't call them blonde, but they're definitely lighter than your typical Mexican.  Her husband, though born and raised in Mexico, is colored like them.  I'm trying to upload the video of them singing a to Disney CD in the car.  High School Musical in Spanish just came out this week.  I don't think these were songs from that, but maybe...
Maribel lived in KY for awhile and taught at Morehead.  She wants to have me for dinner sometime soon.  Can't wait!
I'm thankful to have those books, even though not all students have them.  next week, I will go to school at 8 every day, even all the days that I won't teach until 8:50 so I can collect more money from the parents.  They just come on into your room and give you money, tell them your name, chat away.  Never mind that you have 20 first graders climbing the walls.  Never mind that you have a lesson to teach and classroom management to practice!
:)
Before Maribel got there, I spoke with the support teacher (Gema I think, HEY-mah) and she helped me fix my schedule.  SO- Monday, I should have a great schedule, some students with books, and after a weekend of enough free time, some lesson plans with activities, songs on CD, etc.
I canNOT get my video to upload...maybe my computer is tired, or maybe the video is too big.  Will try again later.

No comments: