Thursday, September 4, 2008

Pictures from school

This was a gift from a group of fifth grade girls.  Of my favorites (5th and 6th), these will be my favorite favorites.  We do this some in English, but in Spanish, at least in Mexico, they do it all the time: to emphasize something, you repeat it.  When I was being driven to school by Mayra one day, she said "We're in downtown.  This is downtown downtown."  And when talking about hair color, they say you're rubia rubia if you're really blonde.  It's kinda funny.  Anyhow, I think 5th will be my favorite favorites.  The girls absolutely adore me.  Can't argue with that!
Sadly, at one point when putting on my backpack (on the bus, or in the mall called Forum or getting into Mabel's car), I lost it.  My girls will be disappointed.
Third graders working on pictures of their family, including the sentences: "This is my _____.  His/her name is _____."  I started by showing them an OLD Ovada Ward pitcure of my family. Honey gave it to me awhile back.  I must've been 4 years old.  I told them about my family, then I wrote the sentences, then I asked them to do the same.
Here comes trouble!  I have to keep my eye on this chica!  She likes to move about the room, distribute/take candy, and see how many rules she can break.
Here they are, still 3rd grade, working on said pictures.

This is me, showing my Director my red planner; it made it to Mexico!!! We have a Fulbright meeting in Mexico City in November.  I have to take two days off for that, so I was asking him.  That meeting does not conflict with HH's trip to Cozumel to work with the City of Angels.  I can still go if I raise the money!  I didn't know this picture was being taken, but I figure there won't be too many unposed pictures of me, so I'm glad whoever took it took it!  I think it was my friends the custodian, Hernan.  He is totally loving having a gringa around.  No worried: he has a novia.  And I don't find him the most attractive, but he's always around.  He's great for conversation, and also for keeping me from making it to my classes on time.


This is 6th grade.  I only have them twice this week since Monday was only an introduction.  The first time I had them, I was unaware of the "school ends at 12 in September" policy, so I only had them for 10 minutes!  This was my second day with them.  I said to heck with going over the rules; they already know a lot of English, they like it, and they're decently well-behaved.  We jumped right into the "What's your name?  My name is _____" game.  I'm going to give them American names next week (thanks for the idea, Mom).  I gave Spanish names to my fourth grade students the first year teaching.  There are SO MANY students here, and all of course with Spanish names.  I'm never going to learn them all.  I'm guessing that yes I will learn 6th grade's American names.  If you have a suggestion for a name, submit it to me ASAP via email: senoritaklapheke@gmail.com.


Dressed for success for my first day teaching!  Of course, this top is a bit scandalous for teaching in the States...here nothing seems off limits!
These are most of my slightly bored 2nd graders.
A little more animated in second grade.

Yes, I told them they had to raise their hands and look like they were participating!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love it!!! Laura on her first day of school with her backpack!