Thursday, September 18, 2008

Kid in Hiding

I forgot to mention this tidbit yesterday...
When I got to school yesterday, as I said, I went to the store to get my Coca Light and was informed that the 1st grade teacher was sick.  As I returned to the school grounds, I saw a kid crouched behind a truck in the school year (parking lot is not the correct term here, though it is where all teachers park).  I, ever the American teacher, promptly approached him and asked him what he was doing.  He wouldn't look me in the face (which I've read is actual their cultural equivalent to our looking at faces, like when kids are in trouble, they're supposed to keep their eyes averted), so I had a hard time hearing him.  He was shaking his head no and speaking very softly.
I went on to my first grade class and told her there was a student hiding.  She said that yeah that happens some.  When the teacher's not there and the parents already left, the kids just hide.  That he probably didn't want to join her class because he didn't have any friends in that class.  She just shrugged it off.  I followed suit.
In the middle of my lesson, in walks said kid and seats himself next to another boy and proceeds to draw, play and talk through the whole English class. :)

No comments: