Monday, September 8, 2008

Feliz Cumpleanos

I must note that the "n" above needs a tilde, but with this new computer, I can't figure out my Spanish symbols.  Only you Spanish pros will know the major faux pas in the word as is above.
Today during recreo, we had a celebration of my arrival as well as August (and maybe September) birthdays.  Ramon, the PE teacher, was an August birthday.  The "Sunshine" funds (that's what we call it at Lockeland) paid for the shrimp tostados (basically shrimp tacos....flour tortilla shell that's cooked to a crisp with ONLY shrimp inside; you add your toppings), drinks and delicious caramel cake (totally different from yours, Mom, but really good).  I had seen Mabel eat tostados before and didn't think I would like them.  They come with a cup of hot (temperature) sauce that you use to douse the tostado.  I'm not a big wet food eater.  But this time, today during recreo, the tostado-with sauce- was phenomenal.  I enjoyed it dry, with lettuce, onions, and two kinda of salsa on top.  But then I added the sauce and it was so good!  I think they use it to break up the dry taste of the tortillas.  
At 11:15, when we were still in there eating cake (recreo ends at 11), the teacher in charge of getting the students back together (the 4th grade teacher, who finally made an appearance after her wreck) announced the time for the third time and left to get the students in order.  Another teacher, after hearing the time said, "It's not 11:15.  Your watch is wrong."  I quickly examined my watch.  She said, "It's only 10:40."  Some things cross all cultures.  

No comments: