Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving

It seems absolutely ridiculous that tomorrow is Thanksgiving.  If I hadn't taught a lesson on it today, I wouldn't believe it.  It's not cold here.  I'm not thinking abotu food at Grandmother's.  Mom isn't downstairs making stack pie (I still think I need to learn even though I don't like it to pass on the tradition).  It's just weird.

But after having taught about it today, I came to the mall to chat.  Amanda reminded me that she's cooking for all of Tucson.  Mom is heading home to make only one stack pie this year due to a sparse crowd.  I got an email from Ashley about their family's departure to Cincinnati.  It is, in fact, Thanksgiving.

I have many things to be thankful for.  I am so thankful for my health.  I'm upset that I'm a "healthy girl" now due to eating everything I have seen in Culiacán, but I shouldn't complain considering others have not enough to eat.  I'm thankful that I am in Mexico.  This experience already has been one that will change my life forever.  I see myself changing in many ways, big and small.  I'm still me, but the way I think about things is changing.  My goals and thoughts and ideas are changing.  I'm thankful for the gift of speaking another language.  I think it's a gift anyone can obtain, and I realize (daily as it's pointed out to me) that I'm still working on my gift, but I'm thankful that speaking Spanish gave me this opportunity.  I will seek out more opportunities for speaking Spanish now, even in Nashville instead of being so timid about it.  I'm thankful mostly, though, for my family and friends.  Most of you are sad that I'm here.  You're so happy for me, but wish I could be in two places at once.  I miss you guys as much as I should (that is to say, I don't ever find myself sad here, though I know I'll be home in three and a half weeks, so what's to be sad about?!) and I'm thankful that you're happy for me.  Happy with me.  
Love and hugs from Mexico.  And since there is no Thanksgiving here, Happy Thursday!

No comments: