Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving Thursday, cont'd

Mabel was leaving yesterday for Tucson at 2pm on a charter bus (I remembered the word this time!) from Walmart, conveniently located on our street.  I got home around 1:05, as usual, to an empty house.  She had borrowed my extra large rolling duffle from LLBean that I had bought specifically for this trip in case she went shopping crazy.  It was next to the door with the rest of her things (study guides for the English test she will have to take for a scholarship for which she's applying for next summer, fruit-I hope she knows she has to eat it all before the stops in the towns, two sandwiches, and some warm clothes for the bus).  Around 1:30 she came running in and it was really funny to see her scattered.  When I was getting ready to leave for Mexico, Megan was surprised at just how scattered I could get, since I typically have a much more laid-back persona.  That's how I felt with Mabel yesterday.  She was just flitting about and wondering if she needed her pillow (I demanded that she take it) and grabbing her drinks from the fridge and on and on.  Around 1:45, we left the house to drop her at McDonald's.  This is her first time out of the country.  I am so excited for her, even if it is just a shopping trip to Tucson with 40 other Mexicans.  I think she'll take advantage of her English (and maybe she'll see what it feels like).  
In the Walmart parking lot, we said our goodbyes, gave our despedida (the opposite of a salutation, the act of saying goodbye) kiss, and I left with her car.  She told me she had left me with it in case I wanted to go to a bar, the super, whatever.
Cosette was with her dad's parents all weekend.
I left Mabel there and got gas (she left it empty, which is fine since I use her gas all the time) before heading to Mega, the huge super that's kind of like SuperWalmart without being Walmart (though knowing Walmart, it's probably owned by them!).
I spent over an hour there, just browsing.  I knew I wanted to buy some things- vegetables mainly, but mostly I just wanted to see what they had to offer.
Well, I found it.  I bought a Christmas CD, a Shel Silverstein book in Spanish, Spanish Uno (lose a turn, etc are in Spanish, too), as well as portobello mushrooms, peppers, raisins and cheese for my salads, and a new box of milk.
I spent more than I had intended, but I figured I'd be glad to have the non-food stuff.
As I left there, I called the Gas Man because we were out of gas.  Mabel had told me that on Wednesday night.  There would be no hot showers or cooking until they came to refill our gas on the roof.  I called them and gave all the information: how much we wanted, what type of system we had, the address, the name on the account, etc.  They told me they would be there that afternoon.  Tarde is afternoon in Spanish, but it means pretty much from 1 pm until what we call night-7ish.
I was exhausted from Juan Show the night before, but didn't want to sleep through the gas and have to have a cold shower, so I busied myself cleaning my room and such...

No comments: