Sunday, November 30, 2008

Raspacho's

That's the name of the "company" that has the stands that sell the drink raspados that I love so much.  They're the icee like things.  You can get raspados from lots of vendors (and individuals out of coolers at their own stands), but Mabel says Raspachos is the best, and based on the other two places I've tried them, I believe her!
I got a hankering for one yesterday.  I usually do whenever we visit Papá, but Mabel is usually driving.  The stand is not on a main street and it's several turns from Papá's house.  I decided to be brave again and attempt to make my way around Culiacán.  I knew I could make it to Papá's; it was the turns and small streets that would follow that I was worried about!
I was traveling down Malecón (I'm not sure if that's the official name of the street or just a description indicating by water) and my plan was foiled!  The road was closed and I needed to go a little farther before Papá's exit.  I veered off to the right and saw familiar stuff but wasn't really sure why it was familiar.  Mom, you feel me here.  I was in the far right lane, so even though I knew at one point Mabel and I had taken a left at this intersection (and that that should line me back up in the direction to Papá's), I couldn't turn left.  I stayed straight knowing I would pull a u-y (how do you spell that?  youee?  who knows...) to get back to where I was, and what did I see?  The Raspachos stand.
The first one I ever had was plum and it was good.  I branched out a few trips later and tried the pineapple-phenomenal.  This time, I wanted pineapple, but also wanted to be adventurous.  I got mango and was a very satisfied customer; not only had I made it to my destination, but I was rewarded with a delicious new concoction!

No comments: