Friday, November 28, 2008

The Damsel in Distress and the Gas Man

Around 4:30, I heard a knock on the door and was glad to hear it!
I re-gave them all the information: how much I wanted, what type it was, the name on the account.
I also asked if they could light the pilot for me when they were finished.  Gas is a scary thing in my book, and I don't want anything to do with it even in TN, where I can confidently read all the warnings, etc.  They said sure and then climbed on up to the roof.
Within ten minutes, they were ready to light my pilot.  
One guy went to another house to give them gas while the second guy helped me.
He went out back and asked for a lighter.
Aw, gees.
Um, where could a lighter be?
I couldn't find one anywhere.  Not in the kitchen, not in Mabel's room, and not even in the car!
I asked the guy to kindly wait (a big favor in my book) while I ran crazily around the neighborhood in search of a lighter.  I had a cold shower on my mind and was willing to do just about anything to avoid that!  Finally I found a stranger across the street who was working in her "yard" and asked her.  She was not the least bit friendly, but she did have a lighter. 
I went running back to our house and gave it to the guy.  Mabel had told me that sometimes it doesn't take when they've just put gas in.  But I needed gas!
:)
He had a terrible time getting it to take, but eventually it worked.
I was excited about the possibility of cooking my portobellos and veggies, not to mention a hot shower!!!!

No comments: