Sunday, November 30, 2008

Going out with Alma

It didn't happen and I'm not sure why.  She told me she'd call. I  could've called her to confirm (which is probably what I should've done since that seems to be Mexican custom), but in truth I was happy to not have to go out.  I would've gone if they'd called- and I would've had a good time, but I was glad to have an excuse to just be home, tidy up a teeny bit, and get in bed with no obligations of dressing cute of putting on makeup!
I slept in this morning until about 10:30 and stayed in bed catching up on my New York Times articles.  I decided to go to the bus station to look for some Christmas gifts for you people because there were stands set up the entire length of the bus station with vendors from all over Mexico when I left for and returned from Tucson.  There were scarves/gloves/mittens sets, ice cream, pots and pans, Mexican looking embroidered shirts, pottery, jewelry, candles, and anything else you could think of.  I drove to the bus station (so much faster in a car-15 minutes compared to the hour I allow by bus with a transfer downtown) and made it there with no errors!  I was very proud.
I pulled into the parking lot noticing that it would be 17 pesos for up to an hour.  I went in an immediately noticed the empty feeling.  I guess the market had closed shop.  Knowing I had about 58 more minutes of parking for my pesos, I decided just to walk and examine the shops that are in the bus station.  I don't have a lot of leisure time when I'm there usually, or else I'm loaded down with suitcases and a much too heavy backpack.  These stores are full of the typical cheap stuff that you don't want: food, cell phone cards, candy for piñatas, piñatas, shoes, and clothes.
I stopped in the piñata/candy shop because I saw posters.  There were about 20 different posters that were ideal for teachers.  I bought 8 posters (15 pesos each) for my classroom at home.  They have just Spanish on the front, and on the back there is the same picture with Spanish and English.  I got one on body parts, seasons, body systems, transportation, and four others that I can't remember.  Not bad for 10 bucks.  I can't wait to take them home, laminate them, and use them!
Since I had a late breakfast, I'm going to try to jump start my exercise program again.  I was going to just enjoy life until I got back after Christmas, but while shopping for my husband yesterday, I found a scale, too.  I'm not happy with the result.  After all my hard work with yoga and eating habits all last spring, I'm back to where I started.  I am not happy with that!
So, I'll be attempting to do something moving every day (which I should be doing anyway), and I"ll be attempting to cut out those popsicles at school and unnecessary Oxxo trips for sweets.  My llanta (tire) won't go away by Christmas, but maybe it'll figure out that I mean business and be ready to go away in January or February!
Wish me luck- the food down here is SO INCREDIBLE.  It's hard to pass up!

No comments: