Saturday, November 22, 2008

Laura, meet Beto...and Mexico City

After a great few days with Fulbrighters, I was beginning to rethink my decision to ask Shania to put me in contact with her cousin.  What would I do with a strange Mexican guy for three days?!  Would it be awkward, weird, boring, annoying, strange, etc?
I placed the call as soon as we got back (I had intended on doing it on the way there so he could be making plans to make his way my way since the city is so big, but I left my phone in my suitcase in Jessica's room) and Ricardo informed me in typical Mexican style that he had a wedding that night.  Had he not known anytime in the past month that he had a wedding the night I'd be in town?  He asked me what I'd prefer to do: go with Kate and the rest of the Fulbright crew and he'd come get me there after the wedding or go hang out a one of his friends' houses?  I wasn't sure I (or Kate) could get him to her house, so I told him I'd just hang with his friends.  
Since it was a puente (long weekend, literal translation: bridge), all of the city would be leaving town, so it would be better for us to leave around midnight anyway.  Cool.
I sat down with Shawna and we chatted.  She has a friend from Spain that teaches at Vanderbilt, so she's in Nashville quite a bit.  She was waiting on her friend to come pick her up as well.
Ricardo called me about an hour later (6ish) and he was outside.
I moseyed out with my two rolling suitcases and backpack.  I had definitely overpacked for 5.5 days, but I wasn't sure of the weather, I didn't know if I needed a bath towel (and pillow, which is a necessity), and I wanted to have space for flying back any purchases.  
I thought that was a great plan until I felt like a complete dweeb loading Ricardo's tiny trunk with my two giant suitcases.
Oh well.
As I roll my extra large-ness across the street, I start explaining my high maintenance-ness immediately.  I tell about my books, not knowing the weather.  They're not buying it.  Too late now!
Ricardo asks me if I understood him on the phone about the wedding situation.  He introduces me to Hilde (or something similar) and Beto.  Hilde is dressed for the wedding.  Beto is my tour guide for the night, but not to worry, he knows Shania, too.  He will be taking care of me until we leave at midnight.  Cool.
Off we go on foot throughout Mexico City.  
Mind you I've climbed ruins this day as well as not gotten much sleep since my travels on Tuesday.  I'm up for walking, though, as I have not seen much of the city.  We saw as much as we could, and I asked as many questions as I could.  Three or four times between 6:30 and 11 we got phone calls from Ricardo.  I assumed he was finished earlier than usual.  Think again.  We saw a concert (kinda punk-ish) in a plaza, enjoyed some decorations for the upcoming Revolution holiday, and went to three bars.  By 12:45, I was miserable and falling asleep, but had spent no money (a sign of success in my book).  Finally at 1:30, Ricardo met us at our last location and we got on our way.  
He asked me if I'd enjoyed the city, which I had (until about 11pm).  He then asked me what kind of music I liked and tried to please with some Kanye West songs.  They gave me permission to sleep.  As if I needed permission.
:)
I was out within about three minutes.  The windows were down and they were smoking.  I was chilly, but tired enough that it didn't even matter.
Around 3:15, we were bumping along the cobble stone roads of Tepoztlán.  They asked me how I had slept and I told them I was content.  We got to the house where Ricardo carried my suitcase (just the one, I had at least packed with enough preparation to just need one for the weekend) upstairs to my bedroom.  So far, no expenses, my backpack had been carried all over DF and Ricardo had carried my suitcase.  Machismo or chivalry?  At this point I was thankful.  No time for Miss Independent when I'm thoroughly exhausted.
I got my face washed, teeth brushed, and clothes changed.  I grabbed an extra blanket out of the armoire and turned the fan on.  Life was good and I was ready for bed.  Ricardo told me that they would be downstairs if I needed them.  I had no plans of needing anyone or anything for at least 6 more hours.
I slept soundly until about 10.  I heard what sounded like ocean waves and was confused since I thought we were inland.  I poked my head outside to see that it was an extra-windy day and I was hearing the trees blow in the wind.  I was AMAZED at the mountains, the pool, and the view in general.  I got up and tip-toed to take my shower, read some of my book, took some pictures, watched a bit of tv, and waited for the boys until 12:30.
Ricardo woke up, asked me how long I'd been up, and was I hungry.  Was I hungry?!  They had stayed up until about 6, drinking, smoking, talking.  You think those hours are bad...wait for the rest of the weekend!

No comments: