Friday, November 28, 2008

4th grade

Recreo was low key.  It was overcast, so all the teachers sat outside chatting.  I was pretty mellow (I'm still tired from Juan Show and from waiting in the Forum parking lot last night) and Martha (other 1st grade teacher who took me to bus station for my first trip to Tucson) asked me if I were okay, that I seemed serious today.
I told her I was just tired and needed ice cream, so I got a popsicle.
I went from there to 4th grade, where I started a project with them.  The fourth grade Spanish club at Lockeland is writing a book in Spanish to my students.  My students will write a book in English to them.  This is all part of an initiative by the International Reading Association (or maybe Tennessee).  They gave me $200.00 to spend on materials if I would help them and let them see pictures, etc of this book exchange.
I quickly bought up $150 worth of big books for my classroom.
Now, I'm so thankful for those books.  And the kids are so excited (while also dreading having to actually use their English) to be in contact with my students.  I got to discuss some of the differences with them (class size, school building, classroom contents, etc), and that's fun.
In the middle of this lesson, they told me that school was ending at 12.  How could I forget that it was the end of the month and they'd be getting their checks and leaving early to go cash them?!
Ugh.

No comments: